Noticed swelling on labia after intercourse. Is there any serious problem?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: i noticed a swelling on the right labia after sex and my vaginal discharge has a scent also a small bump came up on the top of my vagina
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

I have gone through your history. Mild swelling of inner labia following sex is quite common if it is not symptomatic.
But when it is associated with a small bump, then most possible condition which could be related is a Bartholin cyst. This cyst is located outside the vagina on the lower labia majora and it is typically one sided & painless. Sometimes it is painful if it gets infected.

Small bartholin cyst needs no treatment. But if cyst is large enough, you may need to get it drained out by doctor. Marsupialisation is the surgical procedure of choice for treating bartholin cyst. Alternatively, if it causes local discomfort and dyspareunia (painful coitus) then a warm bath or a heat pad can give some temporary relief.

In addition a bad smell vaginal discharge is indication of vaginal infection which can co-exist with bartholin cyst. Such bacterial infection will need antibiotic therapy.

Therefore I would urge you to consult your gynecologist for careful pelvic examination. He/she can perform few relevant tests that would include per vaginal examination, per speculum evaluation and swab test to identify the cause. One of the aforementioned treatments will take care of your problem.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad