Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed swelling on labia after intercourse. Is there any serious problem?

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4047 Questions

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: i noticed a swelling on the right labia after sex and my vaginal discharge has a scent also a small bump came up on the top of my vagina
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

I have gone through your history. Mild swelling of inner labia following sex is quite common if it is not symptomatic.
But when it is associated with a small bump, then most possible condition which could be related is a Bartholin cyst. This cyst is located outside the vagina on the lower labia majora and it is typically one sided & painless. Sometimes it is painful if it gets infected.

Small bartholin cyst needs no treatment. But if cyst is large enough, you may need to get it drained out by doctor. Marsupialisation is the surgical procedure of choice for treating bartholin cyst. Alternatively, if it causes local discomfort and dyspareunia (painful coitus) then a warm bath or a heat pad can give some temporary relief.

In addition a bad smell vaginal discharge is indication of vaginal infection which can co-exist with bartholin cyst. Such bacterial infection will need antibiotic therapy.

Therefore I would urge you to consult your gynecologist for careful pelvic examination. He/she can perform few relevant tests that would include per vaginal examination, per speculum evaluation and swab test to identify the cause. One of the aforementioned treatments will take care of your problem.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Vulva

doctor1 MD

i am white female 56 yrs old history of uti as long as i can remember.possibly having one right now. i tested myself with the kit shows positive for leu and negative for nitrates.also having little bit of pain on my right side of vulva not sure what this is.

doctor1 MD

Burning vulva. Feels heated around clitoris area. A little irritated between labia minora and majora on both sides. No discharge/smell or bumps. One darkish brownish/purplish flat spot on irritated area between labias on the right side. All of this has been going on for a month. Please help!

doctor1 MD

I had safe sex (with a condom) with a now ex about 2 weeks ago, i just discovered was cheating. I noticed a small hard bump on my labia majora. It is uniform and feels like a ball under my skin, i pricked it with a pin and white pus and blood came out. I m covering it with an antibiotic cream. There is only one spot, raised, about the size of a pea and not really painful unless i squeeze it. It is in an area that i shave and would be prone to irritation. Is this an ingrown hair or something more serious?

doctor1 MD

hi I'm almost 38 weeks pregnant and just noticed how extremely my inner-vaginal area is. Possibly the labia minora..not sure. Way inside of my vagina it is blue looking, hard swollen and extremely uncomfortable. Feels like pressure is right down on that spot. Ouch. I feel I should mention I just had bad constipation a half hour ago in case that could be related to this. Help explain what this pressure and swollen feeling is! thank you

doctor1 MD

I have pain on the right side of vagina lip after using a dildo. It's very uncomfortable when I wipe or touch it. Sometimes it's dry down there then sometimes it's not. What could it be and what should I do?

doctor1 MD

Sudden Vulva Ulcers. STD test done herpes/hpv all of them NEGATIVE ! took a Arcoxia for 3 days then they appear all of a sudden without a single sore or blisters or symptoms. all of a sudden. what can be the cause? Only klebsiella pneumoniae was...

doctor1 MD

I have had a vaginal discharge since May. It started n Indana, where I traveled from Oregon for a 2 week vacation, then onto XXXXXXX for another week. I have been twice to my family doctor and omce to my gyn. Every test was taken and all came back...