Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Lower back pain, elevated SGOT,SGPT levels, fatty liver

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12758 Questions
i got blood and urine test and
i am having increased SGOT=52 and SGPT=84 level. Creatinine is between reference range, TSH=7. NO abnormalities found in Urine routine. Always pains in lower back, What should i do? Thanks
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

The Fibotar capsules you are taking are to control the raised triglyceride levels.
To control the raised TSH levels, thyroid hormone supplementation is needed after consulting your Endocrinologist.

The pain in the back can be due to-
• Nerve root syndromes are those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.
• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis
• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning
• Renal stone- this can also be a causative factor in repeated urinary tract infections that you are having.

I encourage you to consult a physician who can guide you through the proper investigations and treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lower back pain, elevated SGOT,SGPT levels, fatty liver 1 hour later

Thanks for guiding me!

Some of the clarifications which i recall:-

- I had an USG and no stone in kidneys found.
- Tri level was under 150 when last tested.

Some questions:-

- What is the reason of increased level of SGPT/SGOT? and why the GAS problem is persisting.?

ill get my lipid profile tested and get back to the doctor.

Additionally, Could you please suggest a doctor(department) who can guide me ? I live in Gurgaon near columbia aisa hospital.

Thanks Again,

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Raised levels of SGOT/PT are commonly caused in your age group due to fat deposition in the liver called as fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle. My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver. The problem of gas also seems to be related.
I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.
To find a good specialist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at
OR One of our customer care executives will assist you further in finding a good
doctor. (Please send mail to CRM team, YYYY@YYYY )
Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lower back pain, elevated SGOT,SGPT levels, fatty liver 50 minutes later

Thanks Again for your kind advice.

Some information about me:)

- I work as a software engineer from last 6years (which means i have hectic work schedule)

- My body is athletic and well built (before joing the firm i use to play sports at district level)
- I dont take any alcoholic beverages, also, i am a complete vegetarian (some times to do eat egg).

- I dont eat oily and spicy food since from last 15years or so (occasionally i do eat:))
- But yes, i skip food quite frequently while being in ofc (but avoided this habit from last 3-4 years, when i started to get all this problems).

Any guesses still why i developed these problems:(
And one last question, becuase after this question my question asking quota exhausts :), i also experience facial pain below and around my left eyes sometimes. I developed masculer pain on top cheek bone both sides? What could be the reason?

Thanks again for guiding me and i bugged you lot i guess:)

Take care and best wishes,

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
You need not look for the organic causes for a problem of indigestion. A gastroenterologist will guide you best.
Facial pain and muscular pain may be a symptom of exhaustion and stress. Try to relax yourself and see if the symptoms subside.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor