• question-icon

Suggest treatment for facial pain due to nerve damage

I get facial pain in my cheekbones and upper lip as a result of nerve damage caused during an operation to remove nasal polyps and correct sinus problems. I would like to know if there is any medication that can help with the pain. My doctor has prescribed a mild anti-depressant but i do not like taking these as they affect my moods.
Mon, 23 Nov 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern..

As per your complain pain on cheek due to nerve damage secondary to nasal polyp surgery seems to be due to injury or damage to any of the branches of Trigeminal nerve as it is fifth cranial nerve and supplies sensations to face..
As it is a neurotic pain the anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen can provide some relief while narcotics/opoid painkillers like Morphine, hydrocodone can also give some relief.
But the actually indicated medicines in neuropathic pain are anticonvulsants like Carbamazipine, gabapentin , lamotrigene etc..

Baclofen that is an anti-spasmodic painkiller can also provide relief..

I would suggest you to consult a Neurophysician and get evaluated and after a thorough clinical evaluation he can advise you appropriate medicines and also other treatment modalities like relaxation therapy and accupuncture can also be advised..
Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.