What is the cause of hearing heartbeat in infected ear?

i went to the doctor 12 days ago and she told me i had sinusitis and left ear infection. I have been hearing my heartbeat in my left ear for a couple of weeks now. I figured at first it was because of my sickness, but now that i am better i assumed it would go away. It is intermittent and happens at all times of the day, not just when i am lying down. should i be concerned or is this normal?
Fri, 11 Jun 2021

Heartbeat in the infected ear can be due to one of the following reasons and can be really serious problems.
- Hypertension causing overall high pulse pressure and the artery bumping over the hearing apparatus can give you the sense of heartbeat hearing in the ear.
- Glomus is another cause and needs MRI and CT scan to confirm or rule out and if present needs a special surgery by an experienced ENT Surgeon.
- If these 2 reason are ruled out then the obvious cause is related to raised inflammation increasing the local blood supply to the infected ear and thus causing heartbeat hearing in the affected ear. Proper care with a course of an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and symptomatic treatment can help. If the CT scan is showing mastoiditis and there is no relief with routine medical management then you may need curative surgery.
Hence consult an ENT SUrgeon, get a confirmatory diagnosis to have further management as needed.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon