• question-icon

What causes severe cough and excessive phlegm in the throat despite taking medication?

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I caught a normal cold two weeks ago. I took two days off when it started and I felt worn down. I thought it was nearly gone and then the cough got worse and both my sinuses and lungs have been producing more mucus than before. Now I feel worse than I did a week ago.

A doctor friend listened to my lungs and did not think there was pnuemonia. He said a bacterial sinus infection would produce fever and facial pain, neither of which I have.

I am taking Mucinex regularly, benzonatate at night and day, doxylamine at night, and Netti Pot once a day. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to speed this along? I have stopped eating dairy as much as possible.

Also I am taking a lot of medication for depression and sleep:
Trazodone 50mg (sleep)
Lamitcal 150mg
gabapentin 150 (*sleep)
Isocarboxyzid
triumeq for HIV....complete viral suppression, CD4 1000
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to be alarmed about at this time!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. I have reviewed these symptoms fully and they are suggestive of a viral infection of the upper airways. Treatment relies on addressing the individual symptoms and allowing the body to fight this through. Though you are HIV+, your CD4 and the suppressed viral load means that the immune system is strong enough to fight these infections and am not worried.

In all, continue with mucinex. BE calm , eat healthy, exercise often and drink much fluids. Recovery would be progressive but no antibiotics are required at this time unless something else comes up.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Most importantly, keep me updated for review and further guidance.
Dr. Ivo Ditah