What causes persistent fatigue and nausea while on Doxylamine and Mucinex?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: The past couple of mornings I have woken up and felt extremely weak and tired until 1-2 pm. Also almost uncontrollable flatulance, and nausea. Also extremely difficult waking up. These things lift and then I end of with significant irritability.

I think these are all consequences of the meds I take at night (either wearing off in the afternoon or lasting into the first part of the day)

I Take isocarboxazid (Marplan) 30-40 mgs so I need to take regular sleep meds. 50 mgs trazodone and 150mgs gabapentin. I also take .25 mgs klonopin at night and another half of that in the afternoon. I have been taking it to offset irritability and cognitive fog that comes from psych meds or whatever.

At night I also take descovy and Issentris for HIV.

In the morning I take 100 mg lamictal and 500 mg agmatine sulfate as a supplement. Around noon I take my first Marplan. If irritability or "hypomania" comes in the afternoon (it usually does) I take a small amount of klonopin and 50 mgs lamictal. Agmatine also helps with focus and hypomania and concentration. I take my remaining 20 mg of Marplan before bed

I have had a cold for almost over 2 weeks but those symptoms are almost gone. I've been taking 50 mgs doxylamine at night and mucinex every 8 hrs.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Discuss follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
As you have suspected, your symptoms are likely to be due to the interaction between your medications. Marplan and Doxylamine have adverse interaction and can produce tiredness. Mucinex produces GI side effects.
Now that your cold is better, try reducing these medicines and see whether you feel better.
Do get back to me if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana