Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Lower abdominal pain,heavy drinking,normal blood and liver tests

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Hi. I have just started to get a pain just above my pubic area on both sides when press hard , otherwise I feel no pain. My concern is that I was drinking heavily for 6 months due to divorce. I have now stopped drinking but the pain started. What could this pain be. Otherwise no health issue as I had full blood tests for liver and other organs at the end of 2010 and everything was fine. Please advise what this pain could be. Thank you
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

A couple of things come to mind with pain in the pubic region. The first concern would be that of a urinary tract or bladder infection. The bladder sits just above the pubic bone and in the setting of infection it can become inflamed and painful at times. Usually this is accompanied by increase in urinary frequency as well as pain with urination.

Another consideration would be change in bowel habits with alternating loose stools and sometimes constipation. This can be triggered by stress or change in diet.

Sometimes a hernia can present like this but you would probably feel a lump or a defect in the wall of your abdomen if this were the case.

Constipation is the other consideration which comes to mind. If you have an abundant amount of stool in the colon and can give you pain when pressing hard in that region.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope this has sereved to be an informative and helpful response and if you have any additional followups I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lower abdominal pain,heavy drinking,normal blood and liver tests 19 hours later
Hello. Thank you for answer. If this is a hernia what sort of lump and exactly where on the abdomen would it be.

In either case are any of the possible conditions serious.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

A hernia would be very obvious to you, if you move your hand across your abdomen. You would feel a lump in doing so. I really doubt you have a hernia with the history you have provided.

Of course constipation is not worrisome - I would recommend you take a fiber supplement daily such as metamucil and monitor your bowel habits to see if there is a correlation between having bowel movements and feeling better overall.

As for the urinary infection - this can progress to a kidney infection and this is very easily assessed with a urinalysis. You can even check a home test with a kit you can obtain at a local pharmacy.

Overall I am not concerned and there isn't anything life-threatening going on.

Thanks again for the question and followup. I remain available for any additional concerns.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor