Ask a Urologist   »  

Can kidney infections cause excessive urination and lumbar backache?

Question
I hava had chronic back pain for the last 25 years. My doctor performed a lumbar fusion in 1992. During the last 2 months, I have had severe uncontrollable lumbar back pain. I take MS Contin 30 mg BID and Norco 10 mg BID. These meds have not been effective. I urinate quite often, perhaps, 12 times a day and the volume is on the scant side. It is also difficult to get the urinary stream to flow. I want to rule out a kidney infection. Do you think this would be prudent?
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get it investigated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Although it does not look like an urinary tract infection (UTI), you can feel free to rule out an UTI which includes a kidney infection. Such an infection can be confirmed by getting urine routine microscopy with culture sensitivity done. In case of such an infection you need to drink plenty of water. Depending on the urine reports you might to take appropriate antibiotics.

I would insist you to get an ultrasound of KUBP (kidney ureters bladder prostate) done. It will help in detecting prostatic pathologies which are more likely in your case.

Let me know if I could help further.