What does pain at the base of the penis indicate while using a catheter?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a bladder that is not functioning and have been self cathing for almost 7 weeks. The problem is not with the actual cathertization but after I finish...and not always immediately...I seem to have what I would term an ache or almost like a feeling of something "stuck" at the base of my penis. Can't seem to get any message across to my urology office as only the nurses seem to answer the emails and phones. I had a cystoscope which showed that my prostate was wide open so there is no issue inserting or removing the catheter.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Using Xylocaine Jelly like Xylocaine will help to reduce pain & discomfort

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Pain the you get after self catheterization is due to trivial injury to delicate Urethra caused by catheter .

Ideally one has to use local anesthetic jelly like Xylocaine jelly before putting the catheter .Introduce 2-3 ml of jelly in urethra and wait for at least 10 minutes to let the urethra get anesthetized and then proceed to put the catheter gently .

This will help to reduce the discomfort and pain after catheterization .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 48 minutes later
So I will have to do this every time I XXXXXXX ..at least 3 times per day?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
It is the safest way to avoid urethra from being damaged

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
Lubricating urethra with Xylocaine Jelly prior to catheterization is the most important aspect of self catheterization to avoid long term complications like getting stricture urethra and pain post catheterization .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 15 hours later
What are the options other than straight cathing for my condition of weak bladder?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are n options

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Considering your age there are no other treatment options .

Thanks and Regards.
dr.Patil.