Is PCOS curable and what are the effects?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hello.
I have done blood test and ultrasound test of lower abdominal and pelvic.

Blood test Report:---
Hemoglobin:- Low (10.90)
WBC:-11400
Prolactin:--28.7
TSH:- 2.49
VITAMIN B 12:- 239
VITAMIN D 25:- 9.7

USG Test of lower abdominal and pelvic Report.
Fatty lever
Bilateral PCOD

I am already consulting OBGYN doctor from Hiranandani Hospital.

I just want to know that is PCOS is curable or not ?
Is their any other problem will occur for my future life?
If it is curable then how much time it will take?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
curable in some patients

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
PCOS is a hormonal disorder which affects menstruation and conception at all levels and thus responsible for menstrual irregularities especially delayed periods and infertility or adverse perinatal outcome.
But it doesn't affect all these things always and in all patients.
In around 60-70 % of patients with mild PCOS it is an incidental finding as I routinely see in my practice.
In your case in particular the only deranged test is that of prolactin for which cabergoline is the drug of choice which has already been prescribed to you.
PCOS can be cured and may take variable time to the extent of 2-3 months to several years in severe cases.
In your future life it may result in irregular periods and even very light or very heavy periods and also higher risk of developing diabetes in future than general population.
Also i would like to know the complaint for which the tests were advised.
If infertility is the concern then please mention -
- duration of married life
- cycle length and regularity
- any excessive hair growth on face or body.
Along with these details in case you have other questions I will be happy to help.

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 15 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for Assistance for my question.

complaint for which the tests were advised:-

I have lower mild abdominal pain. and since last two month i haven't got periods.
Some time i have mild pain in my right lower side of balder.
Also for more clarification.

I am unmarried girl

And sexually inactive.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
wait for periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi Manita, after reading your complaints I would suggest you to wait for periods but in case you don't get them then take progesterone pills for 5 days to get periods and this pain will also subside with periods.
Then wait for next cycle and in case this derangement of periods persist then get certain tests so as to delineate further management.
These are the blood tests -
- FSH
- LH
- fasting insulin
- serum testosterone.
In case you need any assistance in future you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/drmanishajain