Is GERD very common in smoker?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello I hope someone can shed some light I am 45 and for the last month or so I have had stomach issues on and off with dyspepsia so I am told one of the symptoms is burping full feeling in the throat also every once in awhile I have like air is being pushed out of my lungs up my esofogus this usually happens sometimes I eat or drink water I quit smoking 8 months ago I have had a cardiac work up end of July all was normal but I am concerned with this feeling i get I am not short of breath I was wondering what kind of tests I should ask my de to send me for as I am concerned it may be my lungs
Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of GERD is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is more likely. GERD is more common in smokers.
Lung related diseases are less likely because you are not having cough and breathlessness.
GERD is due to laxity of gastroesophageal sphincter.
Because of this, the acid of the stomach tends to come up in the esophagus and cause burping, dyspepsia, central chest tightness, burning epigastric pain etc.
So better to consult Gastroenterologist and get done upper GI (gastrointestinal) scopy.
Please let me know
1. Do you drink alcohol?
2. Do you have burning epigastric pain?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Is GERD very common in smoker? 13 minutes later
I don’t drink alcohol and I don’t know what u mean about the second question I have put on weight since I quit smoking but 7 pounds my stomach feels tight and full at the top I just want to make sure it is nit lung related due to that feeling of air being pushed out of lungs up throat

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, it is not lung related.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No, it is not related to lungs.
Epigastric pain means pain in stomach area.
Do you have burning pain over stomach area?
And since you have gained weight, possibility of GERD is even more.
Obesity is also a risk factor for GERD.
Please let me know your weight and height so that I can tell you your obesity severity.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Is GERD very common in smoker? 41 minutes later
No burning just fullness I am 5’1 and weight 133 I also suffer from anxiety and costochondritis as well as fybro

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are having grade 1 obesity.

Detailed Answer:
I have calculated your BMI (body mass index).
It comes around 27. So you are having grade 1 obesity.
Stress and anxiety can also worsen GERD.
Are you taking painkillers for costochondritis?
I am asking this because painkillers also worsen GERD.

Follow-up: Is GERD very common in smoker? 38 minutes later
Wow obese that is scary considering I stay within my calories I guess quitting smoking really does make u gain weight I don’t take pain killers I do take Tylenol for pain try to stay away from Advil so I guess I should work out more and do meditation and get my stomach checked

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should definitely do relaxation techniques.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you are in obesity classification (grade 1).
Try to loose 10lbs to be fit and healthy.
Tylenol (paracetamol) can also cause gastritis and can worsen GERD.
And yes, you should definitely do relaxation techniques (yoga, pranayam).
Please let me know
1. Have you ever tried antacid or prokinetic drug?
2. Are you taking anything for anxiety or have you consulted psychiatrist for anxiety?
3. Are you approaching menopause?
I am asking these questions because uncontrolled anxiety and Menopausal symptoms can also worsen GERD.

Follow-up: Is GERD very common in smoker? 1 hour later
Hello
So I can still gain weight if I stay within my calories but nit workout I guess I will have to start walking daily again 30 min ... I do take klopini for anxiety what needed I am not menopausal but pre menopausal which I have been told I can be for years as long as it is nit lung or cardiac related I will ask my gp to send me for the stomach tests I do take Rolaid when messed

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should take pantoprazole.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should take pantoprazole tablet on empty stomach twice daily.
It is better than rolaids.
Avoid stress and tension, be relax and calm.
Better to consult psychiatrist and get done counselling sessions. Try to identify stressor in your life and start working on its solution.
Counselling sessions play very important role in anxiety management.
Plan your appointment with gastroenterologist and discuss about GERD.
Don't worry, you will be alright.
It's not lung for sure.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar. Wish you good health. Thanks.