Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods, prolonged bleeding, PCOD, given tripleacalforte and tranexamic acid. Medications safe during lactation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
Menstrual bleeding not stopping.
I got married to my wife while she was 29 yrs old,until then she did had regular period exactly on 27 days and last for 5-7 days.Just leading to the marriage she got this irregular periods problem.Immediatley after marriage we came to U.S and she continued with this problem.We visited ob/gyn here they said it is hormonal problem and said she needs to be on birth control pill for 6 months to regulate her periods.she was fine for 6 months, then we stopped then she had regular periods for couple of months but then the problem started gain so she put in birth control pill again.OB/GYN then did a D&C,As we wanted to go for kid,ob/gyn gave her Clomid tablet in the third cycle she got pregnant and delivered baby on dec 2010.

Current Issue:

Height: 155 cm weight: 70 kg(she was 73 kg when period started)

My wife now 32 years old,gave birth to daughter, vaginal delivery on Dec 2010 and her bleeding stopped after 30 days.She got her first periods after 2 months,after that she had 2 periods correctly.After that for 2 months there was no periods and then period came on Aug 16th and it hasn't stopped until now.
She went to gynecologist, during 15th day of period, doctor did a Vaginal ultrasound and said it was PCO.
Doctor gave the below medicines, she was also having strong cough.My wife is still breast feeding the baby.

ferium xt
metadoz ipr - 500 mg 2 tablets per day.
Tranexamic acid tablet - for 5 days if bleeding stops she needs to stop taking this medicine.

But even after that it didn't stop and she went to doctor again last week, doctor gave novex-ds (tue and sat) and said this should stop, doctor also gave one more injection(don't know the injection name) for stopping it.but it is yet to stop.

I told doctor to give hormone tablet but doctor says it has side effects so it better to treat this way.I am planning to send my wife to another gynecologist as i am feeling really bad it is continuing.What treatment you think should help in this kind of situation.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

The treatment which your wife is taking for excessive bleeding or menorrhagia is Iron, Calcium, Antacid Rabeprazole, Metformin and Tranexaemic acid.

If this treatment is not giving her relief, she can be benefited with hormonal pills containing Progesterone. This is safe even if goes to baby through breast feed.

These are to be taken under your doctor's guidance. she can continue the above treatment along with current treatment.

You can consult your doctor for the prescription of same.

Repeat scan after three months to see the status of ovaries and endometrium. Get her Hemoglobin checked.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for the follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Irregular periods, prolonged bleeding, PCOD, given tripleacalforte and tranexamic acid. Medications safe during lactation? 3 hours later
Thanks for your answer. I mentioned doctor has also give her this medicine novex-ds, is it Harmonal pill will it help her in stopping the bleeding how effective it is.As of now she is taking this medicine so far 3 tablets has been taken tomorrow she will take one.There are 8 tablets in total.
How effective is Metformin in treatment of PCO?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 hours later

Thanks again.

Novex -ds is centchroman which is selective oestrogen receptor modulator (SERM's)drug.

As far as I know , the drug is to be avoided during lactation.

I suggest you to consider taking a second opinion from a gynecologist about this medication.

Hope I have answered your query adequately.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor