• question-icon

What causes prolonged vaginal bleeding after taking Femilon?

Posted on Sat, 9 Sep 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,

I am 32 yrs old. I have menorrhagia and have been advised to take Femilon to control my bleeding and painful periods. However I always had a 26-28 days cycle. I also have Subclinical Hypothyroid and anemia as well. I am presently taking Iron supplements and thyronorm 25mg. I had just started taking Femilon and am on the 8th day of the pills. I was advised by my doctor to start taking the pill from 1st day of my periods. I usually have my periods for 5 days but since I started taking the pills the bleeding hasn't stopped yet even on my 9th day. It has never happened to me earlier. My doctor asked me to switch to Novelon from the 8th day onwards for another 21 days. My questions are: is it the extended bleeding due to the contraceptives? Is it ok to switch to novelon midway? Will novelon stop my bleeding? How long will the bleeding take to stop?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The dose of Novelon should be increased

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.

The extended bleeding is unlikely due to the contraceptive pills. The pills always decrease the duration and flow of the bleeding. This extended bleeding is the manifestation of your menorrhagia.

It is ok to switch to novelon in the mid cycle.

If the Femilon is unable to stop the bleeding, then one tablet of Novelon is unlikely to stop it.
It is advisable to take at least 2 tablets a day to stop the bleeding. Once the bleeding stops , you can go for one tablet a day for the remaining pack.You should discuss with your doctor regarding increasing the dose.

Moreover, Tranexamic acid tablets twice a day will be helpful to decrease and stop the bleeding.

It is difficult to predict the exact duration of bleeding. However, if taken appropriate treatment, it should stop in next 3-4 days.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Feel free to ask further.

Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 18 hours later
Thank you for your response. I consulted my doctor and he asked me to increase the dosage to 2 tablets at a time for the next 3 days. I took 2 today, but wanted to know how long will it take for the bleeding to stop? I am still bleeding today as well.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increase the dose

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, of the bleeding is still there, then you should increase the dose to 2 tablets twice a day, in total 4 tablets a day.
Moreover, you should take tranexemic acid tablets thrice a day.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine