What causes dysfunctional uterine bleeding?

Question
I have had heavy menstral bleeding with clots for 21 days. I have always had normal periods of 6-7 days a couple of days heavy. This has been heavy all 21 days so much so that I have gone though 3 1/2 pkgs. overnight pads. Should I go to an emergency room or wait to see my primary?
Thu, 10 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't wait.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Given that you have been bleeding heavily for 21 days, I recommend not waiting any further to have this dysfunctional uterine bleeding evaluated. If you go in now, they can do a pelvic exam and see what might be going on. They can also give you medication to shut the bleeding down, at least temporarily. And they can check your hemoglobin/hematocrit while you are there to see if you are developing anemia too. I would not wait as apparently it is not stopping on it's own.

There are many causes for dysfunctional uterine bleeding and menorrhagia, including hormonal disturbances in estrogen and progesterone that can be related to stress or other problems, thyroid abnormalities, uterine fibroids, polyps, etc. So best to go in and have this looked at now. Don't wait.