Increase in vaginal discharge, no odor, itching or burning. Taking Diflucan. Have Crohn's disease. What could this be?

Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I am a 27 year old female. I have crohn's disease and take a variety of meds and supplements but my symptoms are not active. Completely unrelated but I wanted to include as much personal detail as possible. I am in a monogamous relationship as far as I know. I am not on birth control. We sometimes use protection but not always. For the past month I have had an increase in vaginal discharge. Somedays its not too bad. Other days it completely saturates my underwear. It varies from thick white to watery white/clear. There is no odor, no lesions, and usually no itching or burning. I am also on doxycycline for dermatological purposes so I've been taking yeast supplements as well. This past week I felt some slight burning and itching and being prone to yeast infections anyways I stopped the doxycycline and called my gyn for diflucan. The itching and burning stopped but the discharge only stopped for a day. The next day it was right back at it. I had been chalking it up to my stress load right now and it knocking my hormones out of whack. However, last night when I was having sex with my boyfriend it was kind of painful when I was on top. It did not hurt in other positions, just when I was on top. It just felt like a painful pressure with each motion. I am due to start my period any day. There was no pain after or today but I'm very concerned if somehow this is all related. I'm planning on calling my gyn back monday but I'm wondering what this could be. I had my yearly back in april and all was fine. My boyfriend is the only one Ive had sex with since then. I'm sort of freaking out thinking the worst...thanks!
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 22 hours later

Pain during intercourse in one particular position could be because of some local pathology so get examined by Gynecologist. She may advise you ultrasound which will help you in finding cause of problem. If your pap smear is due get it done. If all these things are normal then the discharge you are having is because of physiological fluctuation of hormones which is normal.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 5 hours later
What do you mean by local pathology? I had sex in the same position just a couple weeks prior and it felt totally normal...could it be from a yeast infection then and the diflucan just hadnt totally taken care of it yet? My pap smear isn't due until April...my last one was normal. Are you suggesting it possibly being cancer?
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 8 hours later
Local pathology in this context means that there is an abnormality in the genital tract. Sometimes local pathology like endometriosis can cause pain during intercourse. It is not a cancer and thus I would still suggest that you get yourself examined by your local doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli