How to reduce weight when diagnosed with PCOS?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. I went to the DR because I had a rapid weight gain (20 lbs in 6 months). I exercise at least 5 days a week (1 hour on the treadmill 5x a week with 3 days of weight training). I weigh 140 lbs. I am very careful with my diet. I eat few carbs and watch portion sizes (my son is a type 1 diabetic... nothing goes on a plate without being measured). Should I expect weight loss? I would like to see this happen soon!

I am now on Metformin 2x a day. 500 MG.

YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care and diet lifestyle changes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. with no thyroid, PCOS added to the scenario, no wonder your weight is increasing as both these conditions exponentially lead to weight gain. The solution is simple . Treat the underlying cause. Take regular thyroxine and adjust the dose til you achieve euthyroid state. COntinue taking metformin, clomiphene and oral contraceptives for PCOS along with diet and lifestyle modifications. Godo that you are using less carbs, but more important is less caloric intake. keep your calories below 2000 a day and have regular exercises as you mentioned and hope for the best. Calculate yoru BMI and any thing less than 27 in your case is acceptable.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

I never eat more than 1200 calories a day. As a matter of fact... since I have started the Metformin I have lost my appetite. It is now 6 p.m. my time and I have had a boiled egg and half a grapefruit today. I am just beginning to feel a bit hungry. I have started to get light headed while working out and I am afraid it is low blood sugar because I do not eat enough. My current BMI is 25 (which is high for me - I have always been athletic).

I am hoping to see a weight loss. I wonder if the people who talk about quick weight loss are way over weight? Is that why they benefit? Will I also benefit? I forgot to mention that I am 5' 2". So 140 lbs is A LOT!

What is this you say about clomiphene? and Oral contraceptives? You see that I have had a hysterectomy... right? Should I look into these drugs anyway?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
No worries, 25 BMI is good.

Detailed Answer:
BMI of 25 is good enough and rather perfectly normal. And with hypothyroidism and PCOS this weight is a miracle. So stop worrying for the weight. Just make efforts to maintain the same weight .

Its good that you keep calories in check. You have to consider your comorbidities with this weight and have to accept this still good in range weight.

PCOS is managed with these above mentioned medications, but usually PCOS bothers at fertility age and we recommend above mentioned medications to help follicles mature. With hysterectomy, i would say metformin alone would be enough along with this diet and lifestyle. Let your gynecologist decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps.
Khan