How to reduce abdominal fat?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Weight Loss
Question: I am 34 married. Work as financial consultant but sitting job. My height is 5 ft 7 and weight is 84 kg approx. I have belly fat also. High cholesterol and trygleceroid.

Please suggest how can I reduce weight , belly fat and cholesterol level.

Suggest medicine also. If ayurvedic helps?

Note I don't take much of red meat but two basic meals.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Obesity and Ayurveda management

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following are recommended guidelines:

1. Going by your history:
. Triglycerides/cholesterol are high [do let me know about the values], thus hopefully you are under medical guidance and supervision, thus following things is/are expected from your side:
. any history of familial hyperlipidaemia in family?
. any secondary cause found or investigation done to exclude any hidden disease like: hypothyroidism,liver disease,diabetes mellitus,obesity,diet rich in fats/ carbohydrates,alcohol consumption, use of any blood pressure medicines?

3. you can practice following healthy diet and life style:

i. LOW FAT DIET:
Avoid: butter,ghee,cheese,unskimmed milk, saturated oil, deep fried foods, yellow of egg,hamburger,deep fried fish
. avoid alcohol which increases triglycerides level
. avoid caffeine,tobacco, fruits with sweet pulp like banana XXXXXXX chickoo and grapes
. avoid chocolates,cakes,pastries,ice-creams XXXXXXX
. avoid processed and tinned food

Take:
. More of soups, but without butter
. plenty of salads of uncooked or boiled vegetables like leafy vegetables, cabbage,cauliflower,cucumber,carrot etc.
. sprouted pulses (raw)
. more of bhajis prepared with minimum or no oil
. skimmed milk upto 1 cup/day

PS. items that actually help to reduce cholesterol are- Onion,garlic,soya bean, curds of skimmed milk,apple.
4. develop healthy eating habits: eat slowly,chew thoroughly, and use non stick cooking ware for cooking.
5. Consult a Yogic expert regarding Pranayam and Yogic Asans regarding breathing exercises and managing stress and consult with a cardiologist regarding any other lab. tests (E.C.G) to rule out any Ischemic heart Disease.

6. since Diet and Exercise goes hand in hand thus following points are worth mentioning [as told/followed by my patients with encouraging results]

A. Dietary and lifestyle Changes
1. Tips on Eating: Starvation is not the right way to loose weight. Take the right type of diet and eat heartily:

AVOID:
.sedentary lifestyle, day time sleeping after meals, newly harvested rice, curd, butter, ghee, cheese, cream, chocolates, cakes, pastries, ice-creams, XXXXXXX
. oils should be reduced to minimum, avoid deep fried foods like puries,bhujees, potato chips.
.avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, yam, nuts, fruits with sweet pulp like XXXXXXX chickoos, bananas and grapes.
. Avoid processed and tinned foods, opt for fresh foods
. Drinking cold water after exercise.
. Eliminate all cold food and drink; you should eat nothing that is refrigerator cold.

WHAT TO EAT:
.start the meal with large bowl of thin soup, followed by good volume of salads prepared with green vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, cucumber, sprouted pulses). This will prevent you from taking extra servings of the meals. Drink plenty of water and diluted buttermilk.
.Avoid rice, take roti or phulka,without oil or ghee.The bhaji servings should be prepared from green leafy vegetables,onions,cauliflower’s,lady’s finger,radish, turnips, mushrooms, sprouted pulses. Oil may be substituted by gravy of tomato, onion, garlic, and ginger, in the curry or bhaji for taste.
. For morning and evening snacks, take recommended fruits, vegetables and low fat (skimmed) milk, black tea without sugar has negligible calories.
. Carbohydrates: fat requires carbohydrates to burn, so take them in moderation like grains.

. DEVELOP HEALTHY EATING HABITS:
. Do not eat only 2 large meals a day. It leads to overeating due to hunger. Take snacks in between. It is advisable to eat a good breakfast and light lunch and dinner.
. Keep a quiet and pleasant atmosphere in the dining hall. Watching TV while eating, talking, arguments, angry discussions all lead to overeating.
. Eat slowly; chewing each bite thoroughly gives a feeling of satiation.
. Do not be tempted to finish up the leftovers.
. Use nonstick cooking ware for cooking

B. EXERCISES FOR FLAT TUMMY: to strengthen and tone inner and outer thigh muscles, abdominal muscles and pelvic muscles

i. Pelvic Floor Exercise
. Pelvic floor tensing: tense and relax your anal muscles [as if trying to hold stool back] and vulval muscles [as if trying stopping urinating midflow] 30-50 times
. Pelvic lift: lie supine, bend the knees, drawing the feet to the buttocks. Lift the pelvis- constricting your anus, then lower your pelvis slowly and relax the anus.

ii. Bent knee leg raising: lie on the back, raise one leg with knee bent, then lower it. Then the other leg. Repeat 10-2- times. After 1 month, raise the leg with straight knee

iii. Scissors kicks: lie on the back. Lift your legs in air and do scissors kicks in the air- as if pedaling a bicycle.

iv. Bent knee sit ups: lie supine with knees bent. raise the head with hands behind the head for support, then lower. After some practice, do sit ups with arms by the side.

P.S.:
1. Take Vitamin C: amla is best [ help manage the cortisol in your blood and regulate the effects of stress on your body]
2. To lose belly fat fast, you should try doing different types of yoga asanas, such as XXXXXXX Namaskar, Pada Hasta Asan, Paschim Uttana Asana, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX asana XXXXXXX asana,Ushtra Asana, Uttana Pada Asana, Bhujang asana, dhanur asana.
PS.
. Flow yoga burns fat while reducing stress.
. You may contact an experienced yoga Teacher to practice them under his/her guidance [most of them are similar to the exercises described above]

Do revert back for any clarifications, for initiation/prescription of Medicines

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 37 minutes later
Let me know if Basmati rice is better for health than ordinary white rice.
Brief Answer:
Nutritional Facts about both

Detailed Answer:
Dear

Thanks for reverting back with your concern.

1. basmati rice is better nutritional choice than white rice because of increased fiber content in it.

PS. Basmati rice contains XXXXXXX which is source of fat soluble vitamins and other nutrients, and since its presence reduces the shelf life of rice thus to increase the same, XXXXXXX and other layers are removed by process of milling and polishing to produce white rice which though has more shelf life but less in nutritional value. [brown rice has more fiber,protein and healthy nutrients overall, white rice is just empty calories with little or no nutritional value.

2. since white rice has high GI [glycemic index] i.e. which raises blood sugar, thus brown rice is preferred choice in diabetics.

3. Since brown rice is digested slowly, thus people with gastric issues should not take them during night, otherwise they might suffer from gas problems.

PS. Eat the one you like best and/or have less issues with eating.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj