What causes dizziness and chronic ear popping along with fever?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: Started fever 11 days ago. Nodes in 2 areas of neck swollen but better. Left arm near elbow broken out and itches. My right entire side of back is totally broken out. If i scratch seems like fluid inside. Very small breakouts but covers entire side top to bottom of back. . Last two day only fever after 8-9pm and is 100.4. Highest 2 days 102.8 and 102.6. This is Very high for me ..my doctor is out of the country for the holidays. A normal temp for me sometimes is 97.2-97.6. Legs and arms throb especially when having a fever. No appetite. Severe cold developed and 3 times have blown nose and left ear popped so loud and then became very dizzy. 1st Time last 3-4 minutes last 2 30-45 seconds. Now cold is getting better. Over the counter items used I had on hand. Live alone.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go in to urgent care or ER - ER might be best.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I read through what you wrote here, and your fevers have been high.

People can get post-viral exanthema, a rash from a viral illness, but I don't know, without seeing the rash, what you mean by breakouts.

It's possible to be influenza if there has been a strong respiratory component to it with coughing. But given how long you have been having fevers, and how high (most fevers are worse at night because of lower diurnal levels of cortisol), I really do think you should go in to be seen - either at an urgent care clinic or an ER. If you are having a high fever tonight, go in to the ER. Ask a friend to drive you or take a cab if you can.

If there has been coughing, you should get a chest X-ray to rule out pneumonia.

I am not as concerned about the ear symptoms and subsequent dizziness as I am about the high fevers for so long, plus a rash that should be looked at. The source of the fevers needs to be looked into (exam, CBC and other blood tests, urinalysis, chest X-ray).

If you have been traveling outside of the US, be sure to tell the ER doctor that too.

I would be happy to answer your questions but at this point, you need to be seen in person first.