Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

How long can I live with atrial fibrillation? Taking Warfarin and Metoprolol

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
this is the 3rd attempt, l keep loosing my info; how long can l live with a heart rate of 120-133 constantly due to AF.
l take warfarin metoprolol and furosemide. The hospital stopped the heart in Feb; of this year, for 10 weeks it was great to be normal,then it came back with a vengance.
This time they have put me on Diazepam (l am not depressed) and norfloxacin which made me feel like s..., felt like crying and dizzy and angry therefore l sent my doctor a message about how l am feeling and he has ignored me,shame really he is a wonderful Doctor. thank you YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
I read your question with diligence.
In certain conditions ASD for example it is not possible to convert atrial fibrillation to normal rhythm with drugs. You can consult a cardiologist with a interest in electorphysiology (any doctor will refer you to him/her) to see whether ablation with Radiofrequency can be done in you. Otherwise keeping rate below 100 is the option. Drugs most effective are Diltiazem and Verapamil and you have to take these under supervision. For if the rate falls too much then a support of pacemaker is required. The third drug b blocker can not be given as yo seem to have congestive heart failure as you are taking furosemide. But this is not the end of road I urge you to see a cardiologist who can thoroughly examine you and chart out best therapy after any investigation. If there is any question for me I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How long can I live with atrial fibrillation? Taking Warfarin and Metoprolol 1 hour later
thank you for your reply; maybe l did not explain myself properly.
AF started in January this year with very high blood pressure; high blood pressure l have never suffered with before, where as eptopic beats yes l have had for many a year which l possibly ignored and lead a 'full on' life style, teaching, dancing bacically a very happy busy person and very young outlook on life for my age.
in 1994 they repairs a hole in my heart by open heart surgery; prior to this l did have a very 'big bout' of pulmonary sarcoidosis plus TB of the neck throat and ears a child. this year in Feb l had a T.O.E. then later a Cardioversion.
Everything went well for 10 weeks, (until another huge,several infact earthquakes came).l also have a Dialated RV with a mild systolic impairment.
l do not pretent to understand all this but must admit l have 'heart desease', my original question is how long can live with a rapid heart beat never ceases to slow down,, AAAA
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

Well the medical part of history I could understand well but you are right I STILL can not understand what you want to ask.
It is now clear that trial of normal rhythm which was done in the initial part of year did not succeed. Can something more be done to to:
1. Slow your heart rate yes addition of more drug under supervision. Your doctor (need not be cardiologist but even Internist can help you).

2. Can your Atrial Fibrillation be abolished possibly yes but you need a consult with cardiac electro-physiologist whose consult can be sought by your doctor because burning of the atrial fibrillation producing tissue (ablation) can be achieved in certain cases.

As to your original expression to quote you XXXXXXX long can l live with a heart rate of 120-133 constantly due to AF.. XXXXXXX Yes, agreed fast rate is disconcerting and discomforting but it is not life threatening per se and secondly, it can be slowed down by adding a drug like verapamil or diltiazem (there is danger of becoming so slow that some cardiologist want to put a prophylactic pacemaker). Finally, there is option of ablation (I have not seen your records so I would not venture to commit that it is feasible in you but definitely worth consulting the expert). So, all is not lost and you have shown a degree of fortitude and equanimity while undergoing surgery for closure of heart defect, the same is needed know. If you have any specific question please feel to ask, if you think I have misunderstood you do not hesitate to point that out. I will happily try again to answer the question. Regards.

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor