Can congenital heart disease cause lungs to fill-up with fluid in an elderly patient?
My husband is 80 years old and has been diagnosed with congenial heart dease. His heart is only pumping half the speed of a normal heart beat. And now his lungs are filling with fluid. He also has Alzheimer's.
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I passed carefully through your question and would explain that at his age, a congenital heart disease seems to be an incidental finding, considering the fact that he has not had complications like a possible stroke or cardiac arrhythmia before.
I would like to directly review his cardiac ultrasound report , if you can upload it for a more professional opinion.
Considering what you refer (lungs filling with fluid) it seems to be heart failure.
Does he have shortness of breath or leg swelling?
In such case an optimization of his therapy and adding a diuretic may be needed.
In such case, salt and water restrictions his diet is also necessary.
Of course the fact that he suffers from Alzheimer makes things more difficult, because of his low medical compliance.
Anyway, I would like to know also his actual therapy, besides his cardiac ultrasound report, in order to suggest possible modifications to his actual therapy.
I remain at your disposal for any further questions!
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Congenital heart disease flowchart
- Strongyloides congenital heart disease
- Subdural hematoma caused my congenital heart disease
- Nortriptyline and congenital heart disease
- Complex congenital heart disease
- Is congenital heart disease hereditary
- Thc causing congenital heart disease
- Congenital heart disease i causes
- Hemangioma and congenital heart disease
- Hiccups congenital heart disease
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?