Can congenital heart disease cause lungs to fill-up with fluid in an elderly patient?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in General Health
Question:
My husband is 80 years old and has been diagnosed with congenial heart dease. His heart is only pumping half the speed of a normal heart beat. And now his lungs are filling with fluid. He also has Alzheimer's.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that at his age, a congenital heart disease seems to be an incidental finding, considering the fact that he has not had complications like a possible stroke or cardiac arrhythmia before.

I would like to directly review his cardiac ultrasound report , if you can upload it for a more professional opinion.

Considering what you refer (lungs filling with fluid) it seems to be heart failure.

Does he have shortness of breath or leg swelling?

In such case an optimization of his therapy and adding a diuretic may be needed.

In such case, salt and water restrictions his diet is also necessary.

Of course the fact that he suffers from Alzheimer makes things more difficult, because of his low medical compliance.

Anyway, I would like to know also his actual therapy, besides his cardiac ultrasound report, in order to suggest possible modifications to his actual therapy.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D