Is alcohol consumption advisable while on Xarelto and beta blockers for arrhythmia?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
I was diagnosed with attrial flutters (arrhythmia) and the cardiologist did a cardio version and a subsequent EKG showed the condition was corrected. The doctor has me on Xarelto and a beta blocker. I feel fine and I am wondering if I can drink alcohol during the Xmas season.
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that alcohol is considered a triggering factor of cardiac arrhythmia exacerbation.

It is actually well known that individuals consuming large amounts of alcoholic drinks during the holiday not rarely suffer cardiac arrhythmia bouts and present to emergency department on Monday with atrial fibrillation or flutter: the so-called "holiday heart syndrome".

But alcohol is not the only arrhythmia risk factor during holiday season. Large amount of food, disrupted normal daily regimen (especially sleep deprivation), excessive acoustic noises and caffeinated beverages may all give a hand in such purpose.

So, in your clinical conditions, I would say that alcohol is recommended only in small quantities (20-30 ml per day) and always associated with food.

I advise you to follow as much as possible your daily life-style regimen during Xmas season (especially eating and sleeping profile).

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.

Wishing you a pleasant Xmas season!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri