Does Tikosyn work better than Sotalol for patients with atrial fibrillation?
Please go through the detailed answer.
Thanks for posting the query on this platform.
I have read your question in detail and I understand your concerns.
A pacemaker is a device inserted into your heart to increase your heart rate when you are in severe bradycardia.It works on battery and after inserting it into heart its programmed to function only when your heart reaches a minimum heart rate (this heart rate range is programmed by a programmer).
The pacemaker does not work 24 hours as its a battery operated machine and could be used only for small intervals(otherwise would lead to battery drainage in few weeks). Therefore medications are always given whenever pacemaker is implanted. However when medication can’t control your beats and they reach below the programmed cut off; pacemaker starts working and paces your heart by generating impulses.
Dofetilide and sotalol both are good for atrial fibrillation however as you are a case of AF with bradycardia I won’t prefer giving you sotalol as its a beta-blocker and beta blockers reduce heart rate. On the other hand, dofetilide is safe antiarrhythmic does not cause bradycardia and has effects on left ventricular functions also.Overall it increases the probability of obtaining and maintaining sinus rhythm in patients with structural heart disease.
Hope I cleared your doubt.
Feel free to ask any further doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Forced coughing atrial fibrillation
- Daily life for atrial fibrilation patient
- Spicy foods atrial fibrillation
- Marijuana and atrial fibrillation
- Weight lifting and atrial fibrillation
- Atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter
- Numbness feet atrial fibrillation
- Headaches and atrial fibrillation
- Tikosyn and atrial fibrillation
- Knee surgery in patients with atrial fibrillation
- Can swelling in the legs cause any complications based on the attached...
- What causes breathlessness while lying down as per the attached reports?
- What do these lab reports indicate?
- Does low BP cause cold sensation in the feet?
- Suggest treatment for swelling and foul smelling liquid discharge in the...
- What are the symptoms of angioedema?
- How much ghee should be a part of one's daily diet?
- What causes increased heart rate while having Hashimoto's disease?
- Suggest anti-inflammatory medication to be taken along with a blood thinner
- What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment?