How long after abortion it will be safe to get pregnant?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: i just had an abortion. i wanna get pregnant. when is the best time for inercourse
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query.

Following abortion, next 1-2 cycle may be irregular but after that, period becomes normal as like previous in most women. Therefore, one should start to plan for conceiving after 3 cycles at least after regularization of period.

If period is regularized, then you should calculate ovulation time that occurs approx 14 days before next due date. Ovulation prediction kit is also very much helpful in context to predict ovulation and you should prepare for that day for unprotected sex for highest possibility of pregnancy.

In these 3 months, you may take folic acid & vitamin E supplements with healthy diet.

Do some basic things also to improve fertility:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fruits.
3) Control body weight by regular physical exercise.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 8 hours later
I have heard and read many reviews and noticed that moat women get pregnant fast after abortion. Is that true. I really can't wait to get pregnant now and so can't my boyfriend. I didn't had any intercourse after Thursday (abortion day) coz I want to make sure.if that's the right thing to do.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later
hello,

Thanks for follow up query. I understand your problem. What you read or heard has no strong basis.

Basically pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation & unprotected sex. So fast pregnancy concept is not true. If your period becomes irregular following abortion (early/delayed), then ovulation is hampered. So chance of being pregnant may decrease than previous one.

On other hand, you had one previous abortion, so you are always in risk for next one but it varies women to women. Therefore you should wait at least 1-2 cycle to regularize period and after that you can plan pregnancy.

Before planning next pregnancy, it is better to undergo some investigation to rule out causes of previous abortion like TORCH profile, Blood gr & Rh typing of both (to check Rh incompatibility), Blood sugar (PPBS), Test for chromosomal abnormality, Progesterone level after ovulation etc.

Taking folic acid & vitamin E in preconception period are very much helpful to improve fertility & in brain development of fetus during pregnancy. Also follow suggestive measures as described in previous reply.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 12 hours later
i did a pregnancy test and it came out to be positive. If i do have unprotected sex, how do i check if i am pregnant or its the hormones since pregnancy test was positive before. Do i get a blood test done? we had been planning for past 2 years but when i got pregnant i had to go through the surgery. If i do have unprotected sex, is there anyway i can know if i am pregnant|?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 hours later

Thanks again for follow up query. I am trying to explain your query as follows:

1)     Usually, beta HCG level falls down following abortion. Therefore, there is no relation with previous positive pregnancy test. You should do pregnancy test again if you miss your period for more than 1 week and initially with urine for beta HCG.

HCG value is variable with different condition like less than 5 mIU/ml in non pregnant healthy women, 5-25 mIU/ml in case of doubtful pregnancy and above 25 mIU/ml in pregnant women.

2) For doubt cases with missed period and negative strip test, you should undergo blood test for beta HCG to confirm pregnancy.

3)     Yes, there are many ways to know pregnancy status. Initially you can perform a home pregnancy test with urine for beta HCG if you miss your your period for 1 week.

Ideal & confirmatory test is ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen.

Be well and follow above suggestive measures.
Dr Soumen