How can constant cough be treated?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Good morning. I had a cold 4 weeks ago and all the symptoms were gone after 6 days except the cough. I still have the cough now but don't have a runny nose, any fever like symptoms, sore throat, or anything else except just the cough. It has been persisting for 4 weeks now and a friend of mine mentioned it could be "Walking Pneumonia". However, when I looked at the symptoms for Walking Pneumonia the only one I have is a cough. The cough also does not produce any phlegm. Only one morning (the day after I started taking the Mucinex) did my cough produce anything with color (darker yellow). There was nothing the days that followed that one. The cough is only a dry one. What could be causing this cough to stay around so long?
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop mucinex.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, your dry cough is due to mucinex.
Mucinex is having N acetyl cystine.
It is mucolytic and expectorant drug.
It is basically used for wet cough where patient needs assistance in coughing out secretions.
So if you are having dry cough, taking mucinex will make you cough more because it is expectorant drug.
So try to stop taking mucinex and see for improvement.
Please let me know if you are feeling secretions in lungs?
Drink plenty of fluids orally. Do steam inhalation and warm water gargles 5-6 times a day.
Don't worry, you will be alright with all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: How can constant cough be treated? 2 days later
Good Afternoon Doctor,

I stopped using the Mucinex as you had directed. I have been drinking lots of water and doing the warm water gargles. However, the cough is still the same as it has been the last 4 weeks now. I still do not have any phlegm or secretions when I cough. Nor do I have any drainage coming from my nose. My nasal passage is actually very clear and I can breathe normally through it. Just still have the same dry cough that seems to not want to go away.

I did go to a local walk in clinic last night. I described my symptoms but they only told me it was me still getting over the cold I had 4 weeks ago. Can a cough linger for over 4 weeks from just a common cold?

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, common cold related cough is not lasting for 4 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Usual duration of common cold is 7-8 days.
So common cold related cough is not lasting for 4 weeks.
Please let me know
1. Do you have breathing difficulty?
2. Do you have chest tightness?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: How can constant cough be treated? 3 hours later
1. I do not have any difficulty breathing no. However, many times when I do try to take a deep breathe it causes me to cough.

2. I do not have any chest tightness. However, just like with the first question, when I do take a deep breathe my chest does feel a little tight.

Thank you again Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
We should definitely rule out bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Well, we should definitely rule out bronchitis in your case.
Bronchitis is common after viral upper respiratory tract infection (URTI)(cold) and it can cause persistent cough after cold.
So better to get done PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You may need inhaled treatment also.
Please let me know
1. Do you smoke?
2. Do you have any work related exposure to smoke or chemical?
3. Do you have pets?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.