What causes chest tightness while exercising?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I had chest tightness when playing tennis. went to e.r . ekg and echo results were normal/ bp was 150 /85 and troponin was 0.4 then .14 and 8 . ct calcium score is 1, please advice my next steps . Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need stress test like treadmill test or stress thallium

Detailed Answer:

So your baseline tests are normal. Calcium score is 1 which also suggests less possibility of coronary artery disease. But these just rules out major disease or heart attack, and not mild form of disease.

So you should undergo stress test like treadmill test or stress thallium, which will see your heart under stressful condition like you had during playing and show the changes. If positive then you need to undergo coronary angiography and if normal you can be rest assured that pain may be due to musculoskeletal cause.

I would have also started you on low dose antiplatelets statin combination till we rule out the disease like Tab Ecosprin AV 75/10 mg bedtime. Also, keep isosorbide dinitrate 5 mg tablet in your pocket, and have it sublingually if chest pain recurs.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj