Owl Image

Ask a Urologist   »  

Have white patches on penis head and itchy foreskin. Any advice?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hello doctor...I have a white patch and a white broken pimple that looks like a round white patch and pink center, on my penile head from past few weeks, also have itchy skin when I pull back the foreskin..I was reading about it and looked like a yeast infection as saw some cheese like deposit once,....not sure...I tried using coconut oil and garlic, it helped avoid the itch but the patch is still there..no more deposits though...it doesn't pain but the patch doesn't go...I also have 1 or 2 itchy spots on scrotum...can you please advise me what to do..I am anyways going to take an appointment with a dermatologist soon. Thanks for your answer.
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I have seen the picture which you have sent. In my opinion, this appears more likely to be a 'balanitis' (infection of the glans), caused by a fungal (yeast) infection. I would suggest the following measures:

- Wash the area (with the foreskin retracted) three to four times daily with diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemist)

- After washing and patting dry with a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of an anti-fungal cream like miconazole (Micoderm) or clotrimazole (Candid), twice a day over the affected areas.

- Keep the surrounding areas clean, sweat-free and dry/

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels/

- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear loose cotton underwear

If these measures are followed, your lesion should most likely settle down gradually within a week to 10 days. In case it doesn't, then you have to see a dermatologist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar