Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have pain in upper right abdomen and gastritis shown in endoscopy. What is the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4852 Questions
HIDA SCAN and ultrasound normal, but I still have right abdominal discomfort and get very nauseated, at any time really. It is worse at night. No burning in throat. Bloated, gassy and the discomfort/pain can in my upper right abdomen, but is much of the time wrapped around the lining of my right ribs. I do occasionally get stabbing chest pain that will subside within a minute if I bend over and breathe shallow. Colonoscopy normal too. They want to do blood tests for the pancreas next with a full abdominal CT, but I am tired of being "tested" with no answers. Any ideas? Digestive issues for years, pain in right abdominal side for about 4 months. Endoscopy done about 10 months ago shows gastritis. Problem isn't really in my stomach most of the time. It is on the right side,
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, If HIDA scan and ultrasound were normal, then, everything is ok with your liver and gall-bladder. The pain and discomfort in the right part indicates problems to your bowels: - fungal infection of intestines or colon = advise culture of feces for candida - intestinal parasitic diseases = advise: examination of stool for ova/parasites - urinary tract infection = advise: urine analysis - vaginal/genital infection = advise: vaginal swab testing, trans-vaginal ultrasound. - gastritis or early stages of ulcer = advise: fibrogastroscopy I understand you are tired of so many tests, but without their results, no "definite" answer could be given to you. So, have your time to decide to go for Ct-Scan and get the answers you deserve. All the best! If you have other questions, feel free to ask me back at the next follow up. Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pain in upper right abdomen and gastritis shown in endoscopy. What is the treatment? 18 minutes later
I have had all of the above mentioned. I do not have a UTI, I have had biopsies of my colon done recently (full colonoscopy, no infection or polyps) I have had vaginal ultrasound and pap smear... all normal. All discomfort is in my right abdominal area. No where else. I go to bed nauseous, am nauseous soon after getting up, have right sided chest pain occasionally and am fatigued and feel like I have a fever every day about mid day, but don't. I have dark circles under my eyes. do not drink or have drug problems. Is my pancreas of concern? What else could it be if my bowels are clear, gallbladder checks out fine, but still have digestive issues and problems are generalized to right side of abdomen (wrapping around to my side and back occasionally) Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for writing back! If this is the case, then, pancreas should be examined, together with fibrogastroscopy. If still everything is normal and if all earlier exams are normal, then, we could address it as colitis attack or malabsorption, for which can run the tests. In this case, should check with your neurologist to check and re-evaluate your peripheral neuropathy. Hope it helped! If you still have questions, feel free to ask in the next follow up! Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pain in upper right abdomen and gastritis shown in endoscopy. What is the treatment? 11 hours later
I am 33, chronically sick for going on 2 years with digestive issues. It was always constipation and I drank Milk of Magnesia every Saturday to go to the bathroom. About six months ago, I started drinking more water, pureeing my own homemade vegetable and fruit smoothies (6 to 8 servings per day), taking probiotics, and drinking prune juice every morning. I am, with few exceptions, very consistent with this. The rest of my diet is a grab and go diet. Now, it has turned to loose stools, stomach discomfort on right side, episodes of nausea a couple to a few times per day. I do have some abdominal itching, but nothing bad. I can't stress enough that this is all on my right side. (about 2 inches above and two inches to the right of my navel, with pain radiating higher and around the right side of my back.) I am small. I am 5' 5" and usually maintained a weight of about 119. Now I struggle to weigh 113. (all in a matter of two months) I have three small children and a high stress life. I don't know what else to provide, but would like to know that with the information that I have provided, with the gallbladder ruled out, how worried do I need to now be that it is something serious, like pancreatic cancer. I know you may say "She's nuts!".. and maybe I am, but this has been so ongoing. I'd love to hear some reassurance that it could be many more things besides that. Please.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the answer below... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, I have read the additional information you provided and I realize you are a busy mom and always stressful and in-hurry. Now, although we doctors ask you to run some tests to rule out many diagnosis related to your concern, it is not said that you have such diagnosis. And you should not be stressed out about it. Wait until Friday and get the results, and enjoy your sweeties. The changes you made to your diet are great choices, but your body needs time to adapt. So, I suggest to talk to your doctor about these changes in order to rule out diet as a factor to your symptoms. In other words, perhaps fiber intake and supplements you take could give such nausea or digestive problems that should be further evaluated. At the end, relax, enjoy your sweeties, and keep healthy as you are doing! All the best! Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor