Have high blood pressure and bruises on hand. What could be the cause?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: what could cause bruises on left hand that dont hurt?

I have high blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi ,thanks for using healthcare magic

A bruise usually occurs when small blood vessels are injured or damaged.They are usually associated with a history of at least minor trauma.

The terms petechiae, purpura and ecchymoses are used to describe red discolourations under the skin that are caused by bleeding under the skin. When they are pressed the colour does not get lighter.They are classified according to their size, petechiae are the smallest and ecchymoses is used for larger lesions.
These can occur in a number of settings such as: injury, problems related to clotting ( low platelet count which can be primary where the exact cause is unknown ,or secondary to another illness such as bacterial or viral infection,), inflammation of the blood vessels which is called vasculitis, medication, hypertension can also be associated with these abnormalities, low calcium are a few of the potential causes.

In order to determine the exact cause, your doctor will need a time line of the appearance of the lesions and any associated symptoms which may not necessarily be related to the hand.After physical examination he or she may suggest appropriate investigations which may include , for example: CBC (complete blood count), ESR (checks for inflammation in the body), calcium levels

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
right after I emailed you, my chest started getting very hot and i feel tingly and worn down.

going to urgent care
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 hours later
Hi, I am sorry for the late reply, I hope that you are able to find out exactly is the problem.
Feel free to ask any questions that may arise from your visit to your doctor
Kind regards and God bless
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
He didnt seem concerned. Ran and ekg and blood sugar test. nothing irregular.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi

An ECG and cardiac enzymes would rule out a heart attack.
Fasting blood sugar, 2hr after meal blood sugar or a test called HbA1c would diagnose diabetes, it is preferred it is not diagnosed on a random blood test.

Feeling run down and lethargic may be reflection of simple reasons such as inadequate rest or it may be related to infections, anemia, low level thyroid hormone, chronic illnesses can also result in lethargy.

If it is possible , it may be best to schedule a visit with your normal GP who would have your records, able to conduct an examination and investigations such as those suggested previously as well as thyroid hormone levels.