Have had blood tests done. What does report indicate?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: TOTAL CHOLESTEROL PHOTOMETRY 359 mg% 125 - 200 HDL CHOLESTEROL - DIRECT PHOTOMETRY 61 mg% 35-80 LDL CHOLESTEROL - DIRECT PHOTOMETRY 250 mg% 85 - 130 TRIGLYCERIDES PHOTOMETRY 341 mg% 25 - 200 TC/ HDL CHOLESTEROL RATIO CALCULATED 5.9 Ratio 3.0 - 5.0 LDL / HDL RATIO CALCULATED 4.1 Ratio 1.5 - 3.5 VLDL CHOLESTEROL CALCULATED 68.18 mg% 5 - 40 my blood report...pls advice..
Answered by Dr. Prasad 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dyslipidemia... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Your reports reveal few abnormalities. Dyslipidemia - elevated cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL is most concerning. Besides those, you also have a raised TSH value and elevated liver enzymes. I assume you drink alcohol and your weight is above normal BMI standard. Correct me if I am wrong. Accordingly you will need the following set of actions: 1. Dyslipidemia: As evident on the lipid profile reports, the numbers are extremely high putting you in moderate to severe risk of developing heart complications and stroke. You will need a combined effects of diet and life style changes along with medications to lower the risk. Avoid all high calorie food stuffs. Avoid excessive fats/oil preparations. If you consume alcohol, cut it down. Start exercise - cardioexercise (brisk walk/jogging/cycling/swimming/threadmill) for minimum of 20minutes every day for 5 days a week. I would also start you on atorvastatin + fenofibrate combination such as Rosivas F after discussing with your local physician. 2. Your liver enzymes are elevated, probably because of the effects of weight, high cholesterol and may be the alcohol. At this point of time, I don't see any alarming features, however you will need to include all measures to prevent the risk factors from affecting your liver. The aforementioned options to treat dyslipidemia will help. I would also get an ultrasound scan of abdomen to look for structural aspects of liver. 3. Elevated TSH level: This needs further evaluation. I will order for free T3 and free T4 levels before I decide to start thyroid supplements. In short, there are few abnormal reports detected. You need diet changes, exercise and life style changes. Discuss with your doctor about ultrasound scan as well as free T3 and free T4 testing. Under monitoring (liver enzyme monitoring) medications to control lipids can be started. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards