Have diarrhea, swollen lymph node in neck and rashes all over body. What could be this?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had diarrhea every morning for a few months. I have also lost about 15 pounds in the same time frame. I have been hurting in the areas of my spleen, liver and kidneys. The pain is not terrible but it is enough to say there is pain. I have a slightly swollen lymph node in my neck on the right side just above the artery. The start of this began with a rash resembling the chicken pox on my stomach, chest, back and a little on my upper legs and arms. I also now and have had for a while little tiny spots that look like pin pricks in the same area I had the rash.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 51 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
You need to have a very close medical attention.
Pain in the area of the spleen and liver, swollen lymph glands
warrant a complete set of blood work and x-ray stidies.
Diarrhea and weight loss is also of much concern.
You are only in your thirties and a lot of possibilities for
your condition. With the skin rash and possible enlarged
spleen & ? liver , we have to think of Lymphoma or
Hodgkins . Also possibility of Systemic Lupus.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease such as Crohn's colitis
or ulcerative colitis are possibilities. You need to have
stool tested for Ova and Parasites and also for hidden
blood.
You may need to have an upper GI and small bowel
x-rays to see if there are any abnormalities.
The blood tests should include complete blood count
to look for anemia or abnormal white blood cells.
Need to have kidney and liver tests to check for
enzyme elevations or abnormal kidney tests , because
Lupus can affect multiple organs. You need to have
Celiac disease blood tests to rule this out.
In any event, I strongly suggest that you see an internist
or a gastroenterologist who can examine you and order
appropriate lab tests and x-ray studies.
Please don't postpone this,it could be diagnosed early
and treated properly.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 hours later
I also have mucus in my stool. I have a cough that has developed in the past week. It is both a dry cough and a wet, productive cough. I also get winded very easily as in walking from my room to the kitchen. I have occasional muscle weakness, I do not have health insurance so I am trying to see if I really need to go to the Dr. I want to make sure this isn't some bizarre cold or flu that will pass although it has been getting progressively worse lately. The swollen lymph node is not painful but has been slightly enlarged for about 2 months
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
Sorry to hear that you don't have health insurance.
Look for free medical clinics in your area. Usually
a local church or a community runs this once or twice
a month or more frequently. Most of the time very
competent retired medical specialists work for free
in these clinics. I think you need attention as soon
as possible. Now that you are having breathing difficulties
as well, it makes it that much more urgent.
If you can't locate a clinic, you can always go to a
county hospital nearby where they can take care of
you regardless of your ability to pay.
I wish you well.