What causes shortness of breath, increased heart rate, fatigue and acid reflux?

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi. I’m 20 years old, female. I have been having many problems for the past 5 months now. I didn’t have a primary care doctor at this time so when these things would happen I would go to the ER. At first, I would get really shaky, feel like I was unattached to reality, numbness in my legs, throat numbness and tightness, feet and face, dizzy, rapid heart rate, shortness of breath. I also showed them two smooth bald patches in the back of my head that I had before any of this started. I went to urgent care and they said it was alopecia. Alopecia at 20 years old? Idk. But the ER said it was anxiety. I am not stressed nor do I have any stressors or history of anxiety. I would notice doing a small activity like going up my flight of stairs to my apartment, I was really short of breathe and would get chest pains. I would feel unbalanced when I got out of bed, like I was leaning to the side. It would feel like somebody was sitting on my chest. Throat swelling. It took a toll on me mentally and physically. I didn’t even want to eat or get out of bed. I would call into work. I finally got a doctor and he said my hemoglobin was at 7%, low iron. So I’ve been taking Geritol (iron supplement) and I’ve gotten somewhat better. I had a heart echo done sand a chest x-ray and my dr said they both came back okay. Also, I’ve gotten acid reflux. I belch a lot. My throat stays swollen. I have bad headaches in my head (I could pull my hair out), extreme tiredness, muscle weakness, hives everyday (random), chest discomfort and I occasionally get tingly XXXXXXX in my back and random places. It comes and goes. I recently noticed a soft tissue knot in my neck. So now I have to have a whole bunch of test. I just want answers and relief and to feel back normal again!
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Examination required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

As you described your symptoms they could be from anxiety but we need to be sure that everything it’s okay first

I will suggest you the following tests:

1-Holter monitor for probability of tachycardia
2-Blood count include thyroid tests
3-Test for autoimmune disease like lupus

Please keep me informed about your further condition.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana