Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

What causes body weakness along with fainting feeling?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 3095 Questions
I have spells where my whole body seems to go imp and I feel lke I am going to faint. I have no pain anyplace when this happens but I cant moven as I am just to week. I can think, but I cant control my body until this goes away and it only lasts a few seconds. Do you have any idears regarding this?
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Presyncope more likely

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I understand your doctor being unsure as the episodes description doesn't completely fit a category. However I would say that their most likely nature is that of a presyncope which is characterized by a fainting feeling and muscle weakness.
Presyncope can have many different causes. The most common one are related due to not enough blood reaching the brain, so it should be investigated towards heart and blood vessel issues. Metabolic and hormonal issues are another possible cause to be considered.
So I would initiate by some routine cheap blood tests (blood count, glucose, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, thyroid function) as well as an ECG. If those tests come back normal then the next step would be a prolonged ECG registration which can check heart rhythm possibly during those episodes (the test is called Holter ECG, done through a portable device carried for at least 24-48 hours) as well as a heart ultrasound. If no cause is found imaging of the neck vessels supplying the brain is indicated.
Another possibility would be that of seizures. However it is much less likely given the preservation of consciousness (but not impossible as there are many seizure types) so it should be considered only once the above tests do not yield any results.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes body weakness along with fainting feeling? 39 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response the first time. I do not have these spells to often, but what kind of a Dr. should I see first?
Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I would say a cardiologist but the answer depends a little also upon the health system organization where you live, who covers the costs. Where I live unless you are privately paying it is the primary physician who must make the referral to the cardiologist or any other specialist. Also you should go through the primary physician first for the blood tests and a simple ECG, as it would be advisable to have them at hand when you see a specialist in order to avoid unnecessary repeat visits.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor