What causes body weakness along with fainting feeling?
Presyncope more likely
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
I understand your doctor being unsure as the episodes description doesn't completely fit a category. However I would say that their most likely nature is that of a presyncope which is characterized by a fainting feeling and muscle weakness.
Presyncope can have many different causes. The most common one are related due to not enough blood reaching the brain, so it should be investigated towards heart and blood vessel issues. Metabolic and hormonal issues are another possible cause to be considered.
So I would initiate by some routine cheap blood tests (blood count, glucose, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, thyroid function) as well as an ECG. If those tests come back normal then the next step would be a prolonged ECG registration which can check heart rhythm possibly during those episodes (the test is called Holter ECG, done through a portable device carried for at least 24-48 hours) as well as a heart ultrasound. If no cause is found imaging of the neck vessels supplying the brain is indicated.
Another possibility would be that of seizures. However it is much less likely given the preservation of consciousness (but not impossible as there are many seizure types) so it should be considered only once the above tests do not yield any results.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Thank you again
I would say a cardiologist but the answer depends a little also upon the health system organization where you live, who covers the costs. Where I live unless you are privately paying it is the primary physician who must make the referral to the cardiologist or any other specialist. Also you should go through the primary physician first for the blood tests and a simple ECG, as it would be advisable to have them at hand when you see a specialist in order to avoid unnecessary repeat visits.
Let me know if I can further assist you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of faint abdominal cramping
- What causes fainting and dizziness
- What causes body to feel tingly
- Feeling nauseus followed by fainting causes
- Unusual feeling on chest that causes faint
- What causes faint dizzy feeling after surgery
- What causes near fainting spells
- What causes sudden fainting and vomiting
- What causes feeling of heat in body
- What causes fainting on airplane
- What causes microvascular ischemic disease?
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches
- Can Lipitor cause brain damage?
- What causes severe migraine while on Cymbalta and Xanax?
- What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?
- What does intense pain in the temple suggest?
- What causes intense fatigue, tingling sensation in the feet and leg pain?
- What causes agitation and inappropriate sexual behavior while having...
- Suggest remedies for muscle pain, dizziness and constipation when...
- Can stress cause cyanotic discoloration on the extremities?