Have burning and itchy rash on toe with stiff ankle. Is this normal?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I have a burning rash on my toes. I am healing a recently sprained ankle (3 weeks ago). The burning accompanied by an itchy sensation is happening on both feet, the injured and non affected leg as well. It happens at night time and while Im active. My foot has mostly healed but I cannot walk. The swelling is down and not much pain, but the ankle is stiff. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First I will take up the issue concerning your sprain. Sprain is rupture of the ligaments which bind together the bones. Depending on the extent of injury the sprain is categorized into first, second and third degree sprains.

Management of sprains requires immobilization for at least 3 weeks in a cast.

I hope your foot was immobilized for the required period.

Secondily the burning and itchy rash on your feet can occur in a variety of situations.
1. It can be an allergic reaction to the cast (if used) in immobilization.
2. It can be due to fungal infection of both feet
3. Allergy to leather or metal used in footwear.
4. Bacterial infection.

Please consult your dermatologist for examination and investigations.
A skin biopsy may be required to know the exact pathology in skin.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan