Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Had ulcer and blood work showed Hepatitis C. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1115 Questions
My granddaughter has just recently been in the hospital for an ulcer and blood work has revealed that she has been exposed to hepatitis c...does she have to be treated and will this go away?
Can she have sex with her partner as long as he is not infected with the virus?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do Health check up, Use Condom. Resolve possible.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I had gone through your query and understand your concern.

She need further investigation work up before we consider about treatment.
1. Liver function tests
2. Ultrasound abdomen and CT scan abdomen
3. Liver enzymes like ALT and ASP
4. Level of RNA in blood.
5. Liver Biopsy- finally to determine any scarring or fibrosis.

If these parameters are elevated, the she definetely needs treatment.
Usual treatment is Interferon based therapy with Ribavirin.

If all the investigations are normal, She need regular health check up and monitoring of liver functions.
Because early treatment yield the complete cure in Hepatitis C viral infection.

In more than 50 %, Hepatitis C infection resolve without any treatment.

Hepatitis C virus usually spread by Blood transmission.
Sexual transmission is still controversial.
Sexual activities that involves higher level of trauma can increase the risk.
If any one of the partner have genital ulcers, risk may be increased.
My advice is to no to have vigorous sex and use condoms whenever possible.

Please do Health check up regularly and monitor your liver functions.
All persons with HCV should be vaccinated against hepatitis B and hepatitis A.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor