Can HIV be contracted from consuming food from an open container?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i bought food the food was in a container with a plastic at the top covering the container how ever i notice the plastic on 1 container was slightly open on a container with food inside any RISK for hiv hep b,c
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discard it.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Don’t ever take any food with broken seal.Severe gastroentritis food poisoing could be caused due to contamination of food by bacteris virus and protozoans.
Hepatitis A and E is fecooral and yes any food contamination can cause it.
No risk of H.I.V or HCV or HBV though.
But gastroenteriyis caused due to clostridium are very severe and could even be fatal.
Strongly recommend to throw away seal broken food.
Sir you never know the hygeine status and health status of guys handling them from manufacturer to sellers.

Discard the open one.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
ok so far i feel fine as long No risk of H.I.V or HCV or HBV
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
ok XXXXXXX that good.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T