Had miscarriage. Did chromosomal studies and results came normal. What does the AMH test say?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: My wife miscarriage twice and we did the chromosomal studies, both results were normal however the result of the AMH-Anti Mullerian Hormone is 9,26ug/L and 66,12pmol/L
I need to know what does that means?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
AMH IS BEST INDICATOR OF OVARIAN RESERVE.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Basically , AMH tests the ovarian reserve.
Ovarian reserve is the reserve number of eggs within the ovary.
Men continue to make sperms way into their mature years, but a woman is born with fixed number of eggs contained within the ovary, and then each month, eggs are used up while menstruating and ovulating.
Hence, with advancing age, the reserve pool of eggs in the ovary decreased , which is why, women cannot conceive after a certain age, and men can father a child till late in their seventies or even eighties.
Now, the follicles present within the ovary secrete the hormone called AMH.
Measuring the AMH level gives a direct assessment of the capacity of the ovaries to continue producing good number of eggs.
22- 40 pmol/L is the normal value and your wife's result is on the higher side.
This is better than having a low value because low value indicates that she would end her fertile age earlier than most women would.
A higher value is often observed in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome ( PCOS ) who have more than normal number of eggs in the ovary.
AMH measures only the QUANTITY of eggs, in no way does it reflect upon the QUALITY of eggs.
As long as your chromosomal studies are alright, and no other hormonal problems have been identified in your wife ( supportive of PCOS ) then do not worry as the report can be considered normal.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask further follow up questions.