What causes lower left abdominal pain?

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have pain in lower left side below abdomen. This has happened a couple of times over the last four years. It is dull and usually goes away after a week or two. What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
muscular or ligament related pain . still requires some details .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* This seems more to be muscular or ligament related pain .

Kindly provide further details so that I can answer your query completely .

1. As mentioned , kindly clarify the exact site of pain - lower left side below
abdomen means most lower part of abdomen or upper thigh ?
2. Pain - intensity , radiation if anywhere .
3. Any associated symptoms with this .

Awaiting for your response .

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Here are more details. About 4 yrs ago I took a new gym class (mat Pilates) which had exercises new to me. I started having pain which I determine was in the left ovary area. After I stopped this class the pain subsided. I don’t recall having another bout of pain until this February when I entered and exercise contest that had me doing double classes per day which consisted of spinning and weights. (I was an avid road cyclist for over 10 yrs. and did many century rides so I’m use to a lot of exercises and exerting myself). The pain went away after several weeks. I did go to my gyn for an exam but she could not feel anything on my ovary. As of this past week or so the pain has returned. Coincidentally, I did start a new more aggressive weight class that consists of short reps using the XXXXXXX weight you can manage. Things like kettle bell swings and swats and TRX moves. It is quite the workout. Being my age I have concerns about ovarian cancer. I wonder if I had cancer would it be much worse after 4 years. And btw, I have no other symptoms other than this left side lower pelvic pain. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not sound ovarian problem.ultrasound will evaluate every minute detail

Detailed Answer:
Welcome XXXXXXX

Thanks for the details which are very thorough indeed .

* Again these all co relate with sprain or strain of underlying muscle sheath area
following work outs , very less likely to be internal abdominal pathology .

* If ovarian problem is there , it must be there even without work outs as well
and there must be associated features apart from just pain .

* In my opinion , there is no need to panic till the ultrasound is done , which will
give all minute details of the intra abdominal organs .

Hope this will help you for sure .

Wishing you fine health ahead .
Welcome for any further guidance .

Regards dear take care .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana