• question-icon

What does my pap smear test report indicate?

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: I gave birth six months ago and before that my periods were completely normal. Since birth I have been having some pink discharge in between periods. It usually starts a little over a week before my period and is very very very light pink. Sometimes I don’t even notice it. It doesn’t always show up when wiping.. I had a Pap smear and was looked at by my Gyno. He said it was just ovulation discharge or it could be because I had child so recently. My pap came back clean and good. He said I was beautiful and good to go. Should I be concerned about other things that might cause discharge like ovarian or endometrial cancers? Or is it very unlikely that wouldn’t have been caught if it were advanced enough to bleed, while I was pregnant? Any advice. I am just worried it might be something other than cervical. Or how far can you start having a pink discharge before your period? Is little over a week before when your period is supposed to be normal to start having it. It could be coming earlier but I just want to ask. Make sure it is not ovarian. I know discharge can happen with ovarian but I am not sure what kind. I am having no other symptoms, I just know that may not necessarily mean anything.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post partum

Detailed Answer:
Hello and congratulations on the birth of your baby. I understand your concern and there are several other more plausible causes to consider before assuming the worst.
First of all, it could be your period still adjusting to the normal pre-birth cycle. It sometimes takes several cycles for the period to go back to normal.

Second, it could be spotting due to breastfeeding. Are your breastfeeding?

Third, this could be due to your birth control pills, if you are using them.

If still not convinced, then have a pelvic ultrasound done, for peace of mind. With a new baby, the fear and anxiety of assumptions is the last thing you need.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 45 minutes later
I am not breastfeeding and not on birth control. I was kind of hoping you were going to be a little more definitive on this not being likely to be ovarian cancer because I just gave birth and also that this is not what the discharge is like in ovarian cancer
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ovarian cancer unlikely

Detailed Answer:
You are right, I should have been more clear on why I do not think ovarian cancer is something to consider in this case.

The reason is that, discharge, while a symptom of this type of cancer, is hardly ever an isolated symptom. You should also be experiencing other symptoms like pain, heaviness and bloating, frequent urination, constipation and/or diarrhea, changes in appetite and indigestion in order to raise a reasonable suspicion for this kind of diagnosis.

It makes more sense that the pink discharge you are experiencing may be related to hormonal changes and cycle adjustment. So, unless there are other symptoms you left out in your question, it is highly unlikely that it may be something more serious.

I hope this answers your question. Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 8 hours later
Thank you. That was more helpful.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
I'm glad I could help.

All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi