Had lab test after muscle weakness, dizziness and belching. Taking synthroid for thyroid. What does it indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Please review my lab results. My symptoms are muscle weakness, fatigue, dizziness, lightheadness, belching, bloated. I have gastritis and also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (tsh 4.6 before treatment, now 3.0 on synthroid 25mg).
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gastritis needs to be managed on priority Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on Health care magic. The symptoms of belching and bloating are related to your upper gastro-intestinal tract. You need to avoid fatty and spicy foods. Avoid taking beverages at night. Take a stroll after taking dinner and before going to bed. While sleeping, keep your head propped up. I suggest proton pump inhibitors before breakfast for a patient who suffers from gastritis. Since it is available after prescription from your doctor you should meet one. . These symptoms will disappear after taking these measures. Even if the symptoms prevail after all these measures, you need to go for upper gastro-intestinal endoscopy after consulting your gastroenterologist. All other reports posted by you- renal function tests, liver function tests, urine examination, complete hemogram, thyroid function tests are within normal limits. The only abnormality being high cholesterol and high LDL levels. Consult your doctor for further management of the high parameters. Life style modifications with or without drugs may be required. The symptoms of muscle weakness and dizziness suggest hypothyroid state. However, your thyroid function tests are within normal range. A close review of thyroid tests is required to pick up hypothyroid state in which case the dose of thyroxine may have to be increased. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 3 days later
I also have red stool. Its not everyday but happens often
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Red stools is commonly due to blood in stools. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, The most common cause of red stools is due to presence of blood in stools. Presence of bloody loose stools is called dysentery. Dysentery is due to bacterial infection, most common bacteria being shigela. If the quantity and consistency of stools is within normal limits then blood can be present in stools due to mesenteric vein occlusion, inflammatory bowel disease and cancer of the gastrointestinal tract. However, there is nothing to worry at this moment. Firstly, you need to get a stool examination - routine and microscopy. This investigation will detect presence of infection. If infection is present, antibiotics can be prescribed. In the absence of infection, other investigations will be required to look for other diagnoses. If you have more queries I will be glad to answer. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 26 hours later
I feel very weak and fatigued. I slept enough
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Get a complete hemogram done. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, The commonest cause of weakness and fatigue is anemia (low hemoglobin). Get a complete hemogram done. This investigation will tell about the type of anemia and the cause of anemia. Further management will be guided by the result of this investigation. Along with it watch out your diet. Take balanced diet with enough carbohydrates, proteins, fibre and fluids. Fat should be used sparingly and those fats which are rich in poly-unsaturated fatty acids. Thanks Dr Shailja p Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 42 hours later
Could it be because of an increase of synthyroid dosage from 25mcg to 50mcg?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Increased dose of thyroxine will not cause fatigue Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, An increase in dose of thyroxine will not cause weakness and fatigue. Infact hypothyroidism can lead to anemia and thus weakness and fatigue.. Your doctor must have increased the dose of thyroxine due to hypothyroidism or low thyroid hormones. Take increased dose of thyroxine and watch whether these symptoms persist or disappear. If they persist, then get the TFTs as well as hemogram again. Thanks and take care. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 20 hours later
I have been taking them for almost a week a now. Surprisingly my bloating and belching no longer is there. Just the muscle weakness and very weak in general in arms .
Brief Answer: Continue your medication and observe for some time Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Continue thyroxine for some time and observe for some more time. The muscle weakness in the arms may disappear with the treatment. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E