Is antithyroid microsomal antibodies level of 91 a cause for concern?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I recently got AMA - Anti Microsomal Antibody test done. The range was supposed to be 34 as Positive. My reading showed a Value of 91. The lab person said this is very high. Can you plz let me know If I need to get any further tests done to know the reason for this high value.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:
Microsomes are found inside thyroid cells. The body produces antibodies to microsomes when there has been damage to thyroid cells. The antithyroid microsomal antibody test measures these antibodies in the blood.
This test is done to confirm the cause of thyroid problems, including Hashimoto thyroiditis.

The test is also used to find out if an immune or autoimmune disorder is damaging the thyroid.
A positive test may be due to:

Granulomatous thyroiditis
Hashimoto thyroiditis
Important: A positive result does not always mean that you have a thyroid condition or that you need treatment for your thyroid. A positive result may mean that you have a higher chance of developing thyroid disease in the future.

Antithyroid microsomal antibodies may be seen in your blood if you have other autoimmune conditions, including:

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia
Autoimmune hepatitis
Autoimmune adrenal disease
Rheumatoid arthritis
Sjögren syndrome
Systemic lupus erythematosus
You may need an ultrasound, biopsy, and radioactive iodine test to narrow down your diagnosis. You’ll probably need blood testing every few months until your condition is under control.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal