Suggest treatment for heart palpitations

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi. A few days ago I started experiencing heart palpitations. I feel my heart fluttering in my chest and throat. It doesn't happen when I am moving around. It starts when I sit down, upright on the couch or in a chair. It stops when I lie down or stand up. I have no other symptoms...no chest pain, no lighthedness or dizziness and I am not short of breath. I feel completely fine and have my usual energy. I checked my pulse in my neck and it is strong although when Infeel the fluttering my pulse seems to skip a beat every now and then.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
an ECG or 24h Holter is required

Detailed Answer:

since your pulse seems to be irregular an ECG will clarify everything. The relation to your stance is strange. I don't believe there is a true relationship with that - it has to be coincidental. If this arrhythmia comes and goes then a 24h Holter study may detect it. I can't make any guesses about the type of arrhythmia though. There are harmless and dangerous types of arrhythmias. Some of the harmless ones may be related to anxiety, thyroid disease, dehydration, electrolyte disorders etc. If a true arrhythmia is detected then a more detailed assessment will have to be arranged.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!