Had cesarean with the spinal anaesthesia. Back pain while standing or bending. How to get relief?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am 33 yrs old and I have Bicornuate Uterus, I had cesarean 1 yr ago with the spinal anaesthesia. but after 1 yr while I am trying to bend my back and do some Yoga like purna vuganga asana I feel pain to bend and touch the had with leg I cant bend back and when i do some work for standing long time, I feel pain at back. Please let me know how to get rid of these
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 hours later
Back pain after an epidural anaesthesia during caesarean section is a common problem. It can happen due to a nerve injury or extreme stretching after the procedure. Most of the times this pain subsides within six months of childbirth without any treatment.

I would suggest that you consider seeing a spinal specialist and see if with an MRI or CT they can determine any specific pathology of spine causing the pain.
It might be related to scarring, otherwise termed adhesions, of the dura mater of the spinal cord, or leaking of cerebrospinal fluid at the site of the epidural into the epidural space if it goes in too XXXXXXX
The pain can be relieved by doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel. Stronger prescription drugs like muscle relaxants or gabapentin might be needed in persistent pain.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
I dont have pain at the Spinal Cord, it was not Epidural Anaesthesia, it was Spinal Anesthesia. But I cant strech my back and touch the head while oding Yogas.Please let me know what could be the cause and its solution
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It seems that your problem is related to a muscle stiffness. You need to do adequate warming up before starting the exercise. It will take some time before your muscles regain the tone. You can start with mild aerobics to regain the flexibility.
Doing a hot fomentation and applying local analgesic gel will help in reducing the symptoms.
I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.