Suggest treatment for osteomyelitis

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: how should a person be treated who has osteomyelitis in their system and is diabetic and has a big place on there leg like a boil and was told by a doctor that it is already infected and shouldn't be lanced. this person has a very bad heart and has been told they can never have anesthesia they wouldn't wake up.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Osteomyelitis is difficult to treat in a person with diabetes.
The best prognosis would be if the blood sugar is well controlled and the antibiotics are very effective and that any pus collection is drained.
If he is unfit for general anesthesia, the doctors would consult the anesthesiologist regarding a regional anesthesia where the surgery on the leg may be done without a general anesthesia.
Hope the doctors would be able to control the infection and save the limb.