Suggest treatment for severe anxiety while on Xanax

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 3 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX i am 58 yrs.old i have been scheduled for blatter surgery 2 remove a golf ball size stone.I have never been put 2 sleep before and suffer from terrible anxiety.I take 1mg zanax ever day and have for over 10 yrs. for panic attacks.My doctor said they would give me versed before the surgery 2 calm me down.I read where this drug causes breathing problems is there any advice u can give me 2 deal with this i am scared 2 death already.I have a bad problem with doctors and needles.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
One mg xanax unlikely to affect your respiration at this stage

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concern.

First of all I feel one mg of xanax unlikely to cause respiratory problem after 10 years of use. I understand that it is side effect of xanax but that is applicable during initial few days or weeks and never after 10 years.

Fortunately there develops no tolerance to anti anxiety effect of xanax and I feel this medication is likely to smoothen your scheduled surgery experience.

Since it is bladder surgery they will most likely prefer regional anesthesia which again will be plus point for you to sense anything abnormal with your body during procedure.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions feel free to ask me.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Thanks doctor for your response 2 my question.Like i said i have a terrible fear of doctors and needles.I have always been pretty healthy and the thought of being put 2 sleep terrifies me.When the doctor told me they would give me versed 2 make me not care what they did in other words make me loopy it scared me.I am an electrical and mechanical engineer it worries me that i may not have the knowledge i had before the surgery.I know this sounds crazy for a man that works with his hands in high voltage ever day and never thinks nothing of it but this has me tore up i have 2 months 2 deal with this don't know if i can do it or not.Thanks for your input i need help dealing with this phobia.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think you should search for counsellor

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for reverting back to me with vital details.

With available new information, I am of the opinion that before you go for surgery the time should be utilized to manage phobia. There are various psychotherapies available which includes systemic desensitization, cognitive behavior therapy among others. The two months is almost adequate to have eight weekly sessions which are often required for management of phobia.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Thank u for answering that was my thought i don't think i can do this without help.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I am glad to know that information was relevant and useful for you.

Feel free to write back to me anytime when there is need.
In addition please close the session and rate the session for my future patients.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng