Suggest treatment for high serum creatinine levels

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 29 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi i just did a test for creatinine and urea because 5 days back i went through an arthroscopy and regional anesthesia and since then ive been having very clear urine, frequent need to urinate, feeling nauseous, loss of appetite, constipated and feel like sleeping all the time.
You will find attached details of medications given during the arthroscopy as well as my urea and creatinine level. Note that 2 months back my urea result was 4.6 and now it is up to 8.2.
Can you please advise whether i should be concerned about my kidney function or perform other tests?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get Further investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.

Yes definitely there is significant rise in Serum Creatinine levels and this means you are suffering from Acute Kidney Injury (AKI).

Now question is what caused AKI?

I checked your attachments and could not find any thing causing AKI.

Now following are the possibilities in your case :
1. Urinary tract infection (UTI) secondary to catheterization if performed during hospitalization.

2. Contrast if used anytime during any investigation or procedure.

3. Pain killers use.

So, I would keep UTI as the first possibility based on your symptoms as well as your scenario. Go ahead with a Urine Routine and culture.

Drink plenty of water and share reports as they are available.

You might require antibiotics for UTI.

I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 39 minutes later
a month back my urea was half what it appears to be in the current report. I will repeat a blood test tomorrow and did a urine test today. will share reports.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's Acute

Detailed Answer:
Yes, that;s why i said this is acute kidney injury and not chronic.
You need the investigations discussed.
Review with reports.
Good luck.