Ask a Urologist   »  

Does blood in urine indicate infection?

General Surgeon
Question
my son, 18 years old, had passed blood in his urine, urine reports indicate presence of albumin, pus cell -15-20hpf, epth cell - 1-2 , specific gravity - 7 and ph - 7. what does this mean?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
likely to be suffering from UTI

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

After seeing the urine report I conclude that he is suffering from Urinary tract infection(UTI) , which is mainly indicated by more number of pus cells. For this he needs to be started on antibiotics and later changed according to culture report.

Passing blood likely goes in favor of either urethritis or stones in urinary tract leading to UTI . If abdominal pain is not there that rules out stone. Urethritis mainly have burning sensation while passing urine.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr Deepika Patil