Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Dis i get a period of 19 days due to discontinuation of yasmin birth control pills?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I had a lengthy period that lasted 19 days! Starting 17th of XXXXXXX ending on the 5th of July. Exactly 16 days after that (on the 21st of July) i started spotting again! and after a couple days the spotting turned to a regular flow and now its been bleeding for 4 days. I have NEVER had periods act this way. I was on birth control pills (yasmin) for about 2 years and stopped taking them back in October 2010 so it has been nearly a year since i stopped. Could my body be trying to regulate itself still? I would think it would be regulated by now. Could it be PCOS? Could my hormones be screwed up? I have been having unprotected sex lately... but pregnancy seems to be unlikely that its the reason causing this. Im scared somethings seriously wrong with me. and that i might not be able to have kids in the future.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 46 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

First step to take here is rule out pregnancy.

Before any conclusions can be drawn, pregnancy needs to be rule out. You can take a home pregnancy test. If its negative then you need to have some blood tests and an ultrasound.

If pregnancy is negative, then you need to rule out thyroid dysfunction, fibroids, polyps, hormone imbalance. You should get your blood sugar(fasting and post prandial) done along with an ultrasound abdomen. Recurrent yeast infections are common in diabetes.

This is most likely not due to the stopping of XXXXXXX

I suggest that your see your doctor for the above tests as soon as possible. Iron supplements use is entailed since your losing blood.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have more queries, I will be free to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Dis i get a period of 19 days due to discontinuation of yasmin birth control pills? 2 hours later
but should i take the home test if im still bleeding? If i do have a negative test, is the blood test needed for the confirmation of a negative pregnancy? I know the ultrasound would be good confirmation, but i wasnt exactly sure what the blood test would be for.

i do have an appt in August for a pap and to talk about whats going on with me. if i ask for an ultrasound do they have to give me one? also Will a gynecologist test for diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

You can take the home test even if you're bleeding.

Take a urine sample from early morning.These tests are pretty accurate these days,so i think you need to confirm a negative test again.

If your doctor suspects PCOS then the you will be advised to check for diabetes.

And an ultrasound will be advised too.

You said that you 'might' have diabetes but that needs to be checked out.Keep the appt in Aug since a pap test is very important here.

Although you are very young,since you've been having unprotected sex,PAP is important.All the tests i have mentioned will be done by a gynaecologist.

It is good to get vaccinated against cervical cancer.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Dis i get a period of 19 days due to discontinuation of yasmin birth control pills? 19 hours later
one more question, Does this seem like it could be eptopic pregnancy or possible miscarriage to you?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 14 hours later

Nice to see you again,

In case of pregnancy,the pregnancy test will be positive.

If the urine pregnancy test is positive then the chances of miscarriage can be considered.

That is why ruling it out is important.

Ectopic pregnancy is complicated and has additional symptoms like severe abdominal pain and signs of peritonitis. But this seems unlikely in your case.

I suggest that you get a pregnancy test and then in case,its positive,get an ultrasound.

If the test is negative,then other blood tests need to be done too.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor