What causes vaginal spotting with abdominal pain after undergoing hysterectomy and radiation treatment?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I'm having slight bleeding when I urinate and also light vaginal bleeding. I am also having slight abdominal pain. I had cervical cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy 36 years ago in which they removed my uterus, 1 ovary and cervix. . I had radiation treatments for 3 months afterwards which they said would kill my other ovary. I have been taking hormones all these years. I'm a little frightened in regards to what this could be.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urinary infection is the most common cause;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
It is a good news that there are no.vaginal.problems.
The most common cause should be an infection of the lower urinary tract ( hemorrhagic cystitis)especially if you have frequent urination and burning sensation during urination.
Otherwise upper urinary tract infection (pyelonepritis) or other pathologies ( pathologies of the urinary vesicle, a stone at the urinary tract, glomerular pathologies ect) should be excluded.
You need at first a simple urine test and culture of the urine to rule out infection than your treating physician will ask for further radiological examinations.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 13 hours later
It's not a UTI. I was tested for that.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other pathologies need to be excluded in that scenario

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!

Thanks for clarifying. If urinary tract infection is already excluded then a pathology of the urinary tract such as stone, vesical papilloma or glomerulonephritis should be excluded.

An ultrasound of the Kidney-ureter and, bladder along with further exams are needed along with the urological check-up in that scenario.

Please discuss with your doctor about these.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee