Complaining of heat generated and cramps in hands. What can be the cause?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I would like to have a analysis or feedback on my Mom(Name: S XXXXX) Test Report which was carried out on 23rd Nov 2013. She is complaining a lot about heat being generated from Hands/Legs also at times she gets cramps in her hands when she is ideal also. I am sending the test report on the email ID YYYY@YYYY , Sub mentioned as S XXXXXXX Test Report
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please provide details... Detailed Answer: Hi, Most of the report do not reveal significant abnormality. Couple of abnormalities that I noted are low calcium level and mildly elevated BUN/Creatinine ration. However, it would be better if you can upload individual laboratory reports. As the reference range of each laboratory are varied, I would be able to confirm my first statement. That being said, I don't feel any of those blood values to be responsible for her current symptoms. Warmth sensation of palms and legs and muscular cramps are normal symptoms of this age. Women as they inch towards menopause develop these symptoms. Most women get over the symptoms with time. So you need not be worried. She can try evening primrose oil application on the affected areas whenever she gets those warmth. Drink plenty of fluids and add calcium rich dietary products - milk, egg, whole grains and cereals, green vegetables, spinach, soyabeans and so on. She can also use pain medications like ibuprofen if cramps are severe and affecting her normal activities. If things don't improve, she can consult her gynecologist who can consider low dose estrogens (hormone supplements) for short period of time. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 4 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX I have updated the lab reports for all the test carried out in my query, request you to please check and confirm on the reports. Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Reports are normal.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I went through all the reports and find all the values in limits. Her calcium levels is in limits. BUN/Creatinine ratio is on the higher side may be due to dehydration. Encourage her to drink plenty of fluids. Like I mentioned in my previous reply, the hot flashes of her hands and feet and cramps are normal symptoms of perimenopause / menopause. Decline in her estrogen level produce these symptoms. One gets over it with time. So encourage your mom and ask her not be worried. Try evening primrose oil. You might find this at herbal stores or 'Health and Glow' stores. She can also include calcium rich diet to take care of future calcium dependent bone problems. If symptoms affect her severely, a visit to a gynecologist is advised. Hope this helps. Feel free to write back for clarifications before you close the discussion. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 34 minutes later
Would like to know about the following: TEST NAME - LDL CHOLESTEROL METHOD - DIRECT PHOTOMETRY VALUE - 76 UNITS - mg% NORMAL RANGE - 85 - 130 She is below the range in LDL Cholesterol, what does this mean. Please explain the same and also the corrective measure for the same. In addition to the above question would like to know the following also TEST NAME - LDL CHOLESTEROL METHOD - DIRECT PHOTOMETRY VALUE - 76 UNITS - mg% NORMAL RANGE - 85 - 130 She is below the range in LDL Cholesterol, what does this mean. TEST NAME - GAMMA GLUTAMYL TRANSFERASE (GGT) METHOD - PHOTOMETRY VALUE - 39.8 UNITS - U/l NORMAL RANGE - 0 to 38 She is above the general value in GGT, what does this mean. Request you to please clarify the above two parameters.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can be least concerned... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Yes, the values are slightly off limits but you need not be worried. LDL is a form of lipid (fat) that is produced by the liver. High levels of LDL is associated with heart risks. A marginally low LDL with normal total cholesterol I would say is more beneficial. GGT is an enzyme secreted by liver cells. A high level is seen individuals who consume alcohol and those who are obese. Your mother has borderline elevation which doesn't concern me. You can repeat both the test after a month before we act on it. Moreover as I already described, these off limit numbers are not responsible for her current set of symptoms. You have found those abnormalities incidentally; so do not be concerned. Hope it is clear now. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 32 minutes later
i have got clarification on these two factors: Have one and final one for clarification which is more worrysome for me. LIPOPROTEIN (LPA) - value in the test is 104.2 mg/dl Reference Range :- <30.0 mg/dl Kindly let me know about this.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It has no immediate concerns... Detailed Answer: Apologies for over looking this report. Let me put across this in simple words. Lipoprotein A, apolipoproteins, lipid profiles, body mass index, highly sensitive CRP, blood sugar and blood pressure are few screening test marker that we do to classify risks of atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease and stroke. Individually each of the test result doesn't need immediate medical attention except blood sugar and blood pressure. However each of those marker need to be brought in control to avoid future complications on blood vessel, heart as well as brain. She can control these markers through 1. Proper dietary regiment - avoiding high fat and high calorie diet; plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and added fluids. 2. Exercise - cardioexercise such as brisk walk or thread mill - to reduce body weight. You can also start her on niacin + vitamin C + antioxidant drugs for additional protection. You can contact your local physician for a prescription. That being said, these markers are for future heart risk prevention. They do not have any role in treating her current set of symptoms. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information. Regards