question-icon

Do cholesterol levels of 226 and HDL of 93 require medical attention?

Posted on Wed, 8 Nov 2017
Question: My doctor said my cholesterol is fine, but it is 226. My HDL is 93 and she said that is all I need to worry about, is that true?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am,

After going through your medical details, I would like to inform you that the normal recommended range of HDL for the female is up to 60mg/dl.

As yours is around 100 so it's high. Although there are several studies which have showed high HDL to be protective against coronary heart disease. Very high levels of HDL are thought to be harmful but there is no proven study on this.

As your LDL is also slightly raised both these things can be taken care with the help of lifestyle changes which includes Daily morning walks for 45 mins a day for 5 days a week and healthy eating habits avoiding smoking and junk food.

I hope this information will be helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist